Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

90 Ford Thunderbird Repairs??

Visiting Guest

11-14-02, 09:18 AM   #1  
snoopy2933
90 Ford Thunderbird Repairs??

I am currently repairing some odd and end things on my car. However, I have run into some problems with the windows. The passenger window won't budge, you can hear the motor turning but nothing happens. The driver's window keeps popping out of track. I had it re-glued at one time, however it did not hold. I know that the regulator is off - the arm is bent alittle. Can I go in there with a set of pliers and re-bend the arm to straighten it out and then re-glue the window into the track once again? Also, any info on where I can find diagrams on how to take out the old heater core and install a new one would be greatly appreciated. I am currently working on the heater core and have the dash board almost out, however I ran up on a snag. Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-14-02, 09:21 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The regulator is wiped. Must be replaced with a good used one or a new one from Ford. That is why it's popping out of track.

If you hear the motors turning but there's no motion of the window, the gear or cable that drives the regulator is shot.

As for the heater core R&R, check the autolibrary.org link in my signature file below.

Visiting Guest

11-14-02, 09:36 AM   #3  
snoopy2933
1990 T-Bird Repairs

Thank you sooooooo much, I found exactly what I needed on the heater core project. The only thing I haven't removed is the steering column. I knew it was something huge that was holding it down, but didn't think that my steering column had to come out as well. You are truly a God-send. I just couldn't afford to pay someone 400-500 to repair this, so since I had helped someone else to theirs. I figured, shoot - i will try it on my own as well. It has been an experience I can tell you that. I now know why they charge so much to do this. HA HA.....Are you sure about the regulator? It will go up and down still, just needs to be guided on it's way up! Thank you again!

Visiting Guest

11-14-02, 10:02 AM   #4  
Joe_F
If it's bent, it's wiped. No amount of straightening it is likely to bring it back into shape.

If the window falls out of the channel (that's a different problem) that it's set into, this should be left to a glass shop to handle and reattach for you. Special sealer and procedures are required to do that right.

These cars are collosal bombs in their own right. My sister had this same car, I didn't shed a single tear the day she got rid of it. It gave her good service, but was a typical Ford product with stupid quirks, issues and general headaches.

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 08:17 AM   #5  
snoopy2933
Ford Repairs !!!!

I managed to get the dash out, but am not sure exactly how to get the evaporator case off. Can you help, I have only 8 days to get this thing up and running with some heat! Also, when I tried to crank it the other day, of course I had to jump it off cause of the lights being on in the car while we were working. However, I cranked it just fine, but after I removed the cables from the battery it quit! Would not start again, when you turn the key over while connected to another car, all the lights come on, the fuel injection pump makes its noise, and the everything works - it just will not turn over. What have I done??

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 09:47 AM   #6  
Joe_F
You must push the brake pedal down on a 1990 TBird to engage the starter as I recall from my sister's.

If the battery is not fully charged, charge it up.

As for the evaporator case removal, did you look at autolibrary.org in my signature file?

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 11:13 AM   #7  
snoopy2933
Thanks

I know about the brake pedal thing. Thank you - will look into the site again. thanks you have been tremendous!

11-18-02, 11:26 AM   #8  
You might make sure it's in park or nuetral!!.As far as it not running when cables are removed,some of these would charge through the idiot lamp for the alternator.If the dash is not connected,there wouldn't be a lamp,thereby it wouldn't charge.
The evaporator case is usually held in by several nuts and screws.Their on the inside and under the hood on the firewall.

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 01:09 PM   #9  
snoopy2933
Thank You!

I guess that would be the problem then, because we have everything disconnected from the dash! Is that what the clicking noise was when I tried to start it? Guess so. Thanks, this isn't an easy job by no means!!!!!!

11-19-02, 10:16 AM   #10  
for very specific t bird questions, try this forum. These guys are a very die hard group of tbird nuts, have helped me many times with specific tbird questions that only a tbird person might know

http://forums.tccoa.com/index.php?

Search this Thread