car won't start...

Old 11-14-02, 03:52 PM
rookario
Visiting Guest
Unhappy car won't start...

I've had this problem for the past week and have been trying to fix it all on my own, but its getting very frustrating so if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it very much.

in my 1988 Toyota Corolla
what happens is when i turn the key the car goes to start but never does, it just loops an annoying sound like its going to start. at first i thought it was the carburator... but it wasn't then i changed the fuel pump and fuel fiters... still no luck. finally i changed the main engine relay figureing that must be it... still nothing... the spark plug wires came to mind so i tested them, when pulled from the spark plug and trying to start the car i seen no spark whatsoever, i stuck a screw driver in it and rubbed it against some metal... still nothing... i removed the distributor cap and the little thingie in there turns but i get no spark... any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-02, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Several things come to mind. Be sure to check Joe Cool's post "The Basics". Be sure to check all fuses.

If the rotor hasn't been replaced, start there. That's the little thingie under the distributor cap and could have a burn through causing a short. Next possibility would be an ignition module. I confess I don't recall how the ignition system is set up on that make/model (I had an '86, but that was a while ago). Stop by a parts place and have them pull one out for you to look at so you'll know what is looks like. It may be mounted either in or on the distributor or may be mounted elsewhere on the engine, but generally close to the distributor and coil.

Some of the "pros" should be along for additional guidance.

Old 11-14-02, 05:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As noted start with the links and posts in my signature file below.

Must find the cause of no spark or else it will never run .

The autolibrary.org link in my signature file should help with that

Old 11-16-02, 08:19 PM
Cut and paste this link for diagnostic info.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton%20Manuals/8827m/8827CH02_0_IDX.HTML