Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

78 bronco Distributor

Visiting Guest

11-14-02, 07:50 PM   #1  
velvet
78 bronco Distributor

My son told me of this forum so I will post another question.

My plow truck is a 1978 Ford Bronco with a 351 v8
I broke my distributor while pulling it out, and I have a new distributor.
What is the trick to putting it back in?

How do you put it over the oil pump shaft and engage the gear at the same time. Must you crank it by hand?

Thanks again in advance

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-14-02, 08:57 PM   #2  
Joe_F
This can be a bit tricky. I suggest you visit your public library and take out an old Chilton's book for reference. It will make life a little easier.

Visiting Guest

11-25-02, 07:33 AM   #3  
roland1978
what 351 is it? modified,clevland, wensor> this will help.

Visiting Guest

11-25-02, 09:11 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Most trucks are modified of this vintage. The Cleveland was last used in 1973 or 1974 to my knowledge.

Visiting Guest

11-25-02, 10:06 PM   #5  
velvet
78 bronco distributor

Since I posted the question, I was told by a Ford parts man that he has heard that people have glued the oil pump shaft to the lower end of the distributor. I used some Home Depot subfloor adhesive on the shaft and let it sit over night, I was able to install it as a one piece unit by cranking the engine with a 1/2 inch ratchet on the crank shaft nut. The gear engaged and the shaft dropped in the pump very nicely! I was on the wrong gear tooth and was able to pull it out and re-install very easily.I finally have a perfectly timed bronco plow truck! Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I learned a little trick that someone else might need! Thanks and good luck.

Search this Thread