Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 chevy sub may need new block

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 05:06 PM   #1  
sircharles
97 chevy sub may need new block

shop call and said i my need a new motor ? or fix the one i have the top end will be good but bottom will not handle the new presure.motor ran hot and blew a graskt.$2300.00 to fix new motor $6000.00 can,t trade up side down on pay off.

Sponsored Links

11-15-02, 05:36 PM   #2  
i would call around and check prices for new engines installed at different shops it seems a little high priced for a new engine also call the dealership parts department and check price on a new engine, i imagine the price they gave you was marked up alot and could be done elsewhere alot cheaper well worth paying a tow bill.

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 06:05 PM   #3  
knuckles
1. Please use punctuation.

2. What exactly will the shop do for $2300? Are they going to replace the cyl. heads & head gaskets, the head gaskets only, etc???

We need more info to provide an accurate answer to your questions. Engine size, 2WD or 4WD, 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, etc.

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 08:37 PM   #4  
sircharles
97 chevy sub 1/2 ton 2wd only head gasket and block but was told may need new motor .162,000 on motor

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 08:42 PM   #5  
knuckles
Ok...you're making me work here. WHAT ENGINE IS IN YOUR TRUCK?? 5.7L gasoline or 6.5L diesel? It makes a HUGE difference.

Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 03:52 AM   #6  
sircharles
5.7 front and rear air

Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 05:47 AM   #7  
Joe_F
A 97 Suburban is a pretty expensive vehicle and worth fixing.

Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com and order a new engine. They charge wholesale plus shipping.

It will include the latest parts, upgrades and techniques. Only way to go.

If not, pitch the truck and take the bus .

Search this Thread