Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

is a chevy prizm a good car?

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 05:29 PM   #1  
Huxley
is a chevy prizm a good car?

Tell me what you guys think of a chevy prizm thanks.

Sponsored Links

11-15-02, 05:39 PM   #2  
they seem to be a decent economy car but like any model if it has alot of miles on it can be in need of some major repairs soon and not worth a whole lot.

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 06:14 PM   #3  
knuckles
to borrow a word from Joe_F:

Lackluster!

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 07:16 PM   #4  
otter_
It's a Toyota Corolla wearing a Chevy badge. Decent car, if you're into rice, um, Japanese. Uninspired but well put together vehicle.

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 07:33 PM   #5  
knuckles
The Prizm isn't really a Toyota.

It's a NUMMI (GM/Toyota joint venture) product, as is the Corolla. They're both built in on the same assembly line in California using largely Japanese parts. The occasional Delco part sneaks in there though, like the alternator & battery & a few other oddball parts.

These cars, especially the Geo models, don't compare well to other entry level Japanes cars.

Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 06:09 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Not true. They are a dead ringer for a Corolla of the same year. If you like the Corolla, you like the Prizm.

They are about as exciting as root canal. Picture driving your Maytag washing machine down the road. Yea, it's reliable, but you'll bore people to death at a party talking about it. LOL.

Lackluster in reliability? No. Lackluster in soul? Yup.

Most new small cars lack soul and pizzazz and real definition. If you want that, buy a classic .

Knuckles: My neighbor's Ingersoll, Ontario built Corolla (1993) has Delco parts as well, including the alternator and battery as well as other Delphi sourced parts. So does his brother's 2001 Corolla Type S.

Mechanically, the Prizm and Corolla are the same thing. The trim differs.

It IS a Toyota mechanically. The 1ZZFE engine (1.8L) used in the Prizm is the SAME engine as the Corolla and it's of Toyota design...other Toyota products use it too.

The joint venture is really capital (both companies), marketing (mostly GM), manufacturing efficiency (Toyota), "clout" (GM..they are huge), "quality" (Toyota is known for top quality products and it brings up GM's image a little).

The 98 and up Corolla is much tinnier and cheaper than its 1993 to 1997 brothers. I was a bit surprised when driving it.

Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 08:09 AM   #7  
otter_
even though corolla and prizm are the SAME car, JD Power and Consumer Reports surveys tend to favour the Corolla twin in reliability and build quality. Perception is everything.

GM parts have been making it into Toyota for years... A friend of mine who sells Toyota (and is fiercely defensive of his product) was horrified when he opened the hood on a flagship Avalon when it first came out and saw a blue GM sticker on the rad staring him in the face. Within a few months the sticker was replaced with a more subtle molded corporate emblem in the top tank.

NUMMI isn't the only place corollas are built, but the tooling happens to be exactly the same for both the Prizm and the Corolla.

Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 09:14 PM   #8  
knuckles
clarification

The Prizm IS the same as a Corolla, but it still isn't a "Toyota". That is, it is not manufactured by Toyota. It's manufactured by NUMMI, as is the U.S. built Corolla. They are essentially the same car.

Visiting Guest

11-17-02, 06:54 AM   #9  
Joe_F
It "is" a Toyota. It's splitting hairs here really .

The powertrain, suspension design, body design, etc, are all Toyota derived. The only thing GM provides is capital and some marketing . The 1ZZFE 1.8L engine used in these models (98 and up) is Toyota, not GM built and deisgned.

The fuel system is NipponDenso. If you buy the GM part # for the fuel injector, you'll get a ND part with the Toyota part # right on the GM box for interchange. ND is a Toyota, not GM typical vendor.

The joint venture portion is really not design. Toyota provides the brains of the operation (manufacturing, design, etc) but the marketing, clout, size, name are all GM.

BTW: I believe the Prizm is obsolete now. Only the Corolla is available.

Original poster: If you like the Corolla, you'll like the Prizm. Six of one, half dozen of another.

TX

11-17-02, 07:03 AM   #10  
My 2 cents

I have never had a prizum but I have had and still do have Toyota. I would recommend a Prizum like what was stated perviously they wont win any car shows but are reliable. They are like what is now the Pontiac vibe and the Toyota Matrix.
I have the Matrix and it is a great car the only thing that would make it better in my eyes is GM would have stayed out of the picture. You can see some GMs great ideas that are not so great in the Matrix. Things like red dash lights typical Pontiac and little things like that. Also The Toyota will hold its resale value better then the Pontiac even if they are the same car just different Badge.

11-18-02, 12:40 PM   #11  
wha?

GM and Toyota are "partners" in a sense? Wow. I never knew it.

I know that the Ford/Mazda partnership was a raw deal. When they did that, they corrupted Mazda with their idiot-ugly small truck/SUV theology. We lost a fairly neat little pickup that used to be the all-Japan B-Series to this stupid Ranger clone look alike. Mazda, known for image, lost theirs entirely on the B-series and Tribute.

Let's all hope and pray that GM stays the heck away from the Tacoma and Tundra, and SUV designers. I like what GM offers (other than the S-10, too twirpy looking and lousy crash test results), but I like Toyota. I just think that it's a bad idea to mix too much blood when it comes to cars. Sure, share a few parts here and there but don't share chassis and assembly plants!!!!!
I don't even think the Silverado and Sierra should be general clones.

So what other suprizes do we have out there? What company builds what with who? Like the Isuzu/GM thing on the Isuzu Hombre pickup. What a crock.

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 03:50 PM   #12  
Joe_F
Mako:

Go to google.com and type in NUMMI. That is the joint venture from GM and Toyota. Been around since 1984, where ya been? Lol.

Joint ventures are a good thing. You get the best of GM and the best of Toyota as you've seen alluded to here. You get the clout and resources of the big guy with the manufacturing efficiency and quality of the Japanese. Not bad .

BMW buys GM transmissions, GM sells to Rolls Royce, etc, etc, etc. It goes on more and more in the industry as no one can be good at everything, but you want coverage.

The Ford/Mazda thing has been going on since about 1972. Better for Mazda, they needed marketing here and their performance in the market here has always been lackluster, so they could use the backing of FoMoCo.

11-19-02, 11:09 AM   #13  
LOL I just wish Ford would let Maza design their own pickups instead of cloning the pathetic rangers. Such a dated platform.

I just don't see the point in offering two different trucks (Ford/Mazda or GMC/Chevy) that are virtually the same dern thing with only slightly different skin. Both tailor to the same demographics and compete with each other.

I'd rather see Chevy make a good work/drive truck (1500, 2500) and GMC focul on the high-perfomance SS and the heavy duty HD (3500). At least then there is a difference.

Search this Thread