'87 Charger <=> Caravan 2.2 swap

Old 11-15-02, 08:49 PM
Cool '87 Charger <=> Caravan 2.2 swap

I read a webpage ( http://minimopar.net/centerengine.html )

that describes a rather lengthy procedure for centering the engine in the caravan.

My repair manual says to measure the length of the half-shafts and adjust the position of the engine until they're with in specs.

I'd rather just measure, but should I crack those hub nuts and do it the hard way?

BTW, the carb I got from the junkyard came off of an '84 Caravan. The carb's secondary barrel is operated by a linkage connecting it to the throttle. Both the feedback and non feedback carbs on the vehicles in my experiment have vacuum controlled secondary barrels. I like the old version better. It's working marvelously so far.

The '84 carb has a choke plate over the secondary barrel.. the others didn't... interesting..... and the '84 carb had a vacuum line running right to the intake manifold. There's a spot on my intake manifold for a hole to be made for this hose but the hole wasn't drilled. Why in the world would you want a vacuum line running from the carb to the intake manifold? I plugged it off and it's not effecting things that I can tell anyway.

Thanks for any comments. I don't want to blow a drive shaft. :O

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-02, 05:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I hope you checked with a Hollander book or other reference to make sure that the engines are compatible. If not, stop! Make sure they are. Any salvage yard can tell you for sure.

Many vehicles have a port for the PCV from the intake to the carburetor. GM's do.

Again, make sure you're dealing with compatible things here, as this is a lot of work to do on a low buck vehicle .

Old 11-16-02, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the good advice.

However, I had both of these engines on separate engine stands right side by side while I prepared the engine for the van.

The only difference (right down to the style of oil pick-up tube) was the pollution control (mainly, the charger had a feedback carb) and the shape of the oil pan. I swapped oil pans and threw a junkyard carb on 'er. These engines sure seem to be the same exact thing. Well, the fuel lines were a bit different, but I just used the fuel lines from the caravan (which had the vapor separator built into the fuel filter vs. the charger, which had a separate vapor separator connected to the carb.)

What kind of possible differences are you thinking of when you suggest I call the junkyard? They're even from the same year.

Anyway, I do appreciate your input. So don't get me wrong. I've just spent a few weeks doing this project and I'm not so sure I'd stop even if I did find out they aren't supposed to be compatible. I'm about 99.5% sure it's a perfect match for this van. (My father in law says he's never heard the van run do good) Itís in and running. I drive it around the yard (to make room for the next vehicle in the assembly line). Itís only waiting for the engine to be centered and the front mount to be changed (makes a hell of a racket when you shift from reverse to drive).

Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-16-02, 04:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You'd be suprised what you THINK is compatible and winds up not being as such.

Hollander is a company that supplies the junkyard with their interchange data. (They are part of ADP Computer Corp). They have done extensive research into what parts work on what other vehicles. This is why you might get a windshield from a Buick Park Avenue for your Oldsmobile Delta 88....Hollander has done the homework and published books to say "Yup, same thing".

They also solicit feedback from salvage yards that actually do business in the industry. By far, these books are superior in what they do.

A quick call to the local yard or stopping by the counter should net you the answer. It may look the same, but you don't want to ASSume

Old 11-16-02, 06:49 PM
Good, sound, advice..

What's a phone call gonna hurt? What the hell... I'll give 'em a ring on Monday and see what they say.

Old 11-17-02, 07:07 PM
I just realized what you were suggesting with the pcv valve running to the intake manifold.

The 2.2 has an interesting little plastic module that screws into the back of the valve cover. It houses the pcv valve and a vacuum hose that runs to the base under the carb.

It also has a hose that runs to the air cleaner from this pcv "module".

The mystery hose I was talking about runs straight from the carb to the intake manifold.

No big deal though. It's doing marvelously without this hose being hooked up. I was just wondering if anybody knew what it was there for.

My guess: It's something to do with the fact that the secondary barell on this '84 carb is actuated by linkage (which opens the secondary immediately as far as you want), whereas the '87 version of this carb has a vacuum controlled secondary (which opens more slowly I assume).

Just a guess though.

Monday morning I'm calling the junkyard to see if there could be trouble using this engine for the van. I've had 'er to 60mph down the highway and it's doing marvelously. But it would really suck if it died on me in the dead of winter because of an unknown incompatibility.

Search this Thread