Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 accord - tranny stuck in sport mode

11-16-02, 08:30 AM   #1  
91 accord - tranny stuck in sport mode

I think my girlfriends honda is stuck in sport mode. She had been complaining about the way it was shifting so I took it for a spin. The tranny won't shift to the next gear until it reaches about 3500 rpms. And it's very "jerky" when it does shift, unless you're stomping on the gas of course. Regardless of whether the switch is in normal or sport mode, there is not difference in the way it is shifting. . .Any ideas on how to get it out of sport mode. or have another diagnosis????
thx.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 09:20 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Mileage? Last time it saw a fluid change?

Sounds like internal failure of the tranny...

Visiting Guest

11-17-02, 06:39 AM   #3  
bigpoppax2
Is there a light on the dash that illuminates when the tranny is in sport mode? If so is it still lit when you click the button off?

One thing to try. Disconnect the switch and see how the transmission reacts. It very well could be a defective switch.

11-17-02, 11:45 AM   #4  
Joe_F - it has 133K on it, and the last fluid change was fairly recent (this past summer).

BigPoppa - Yes there is a dash light, and it does turn on and off when I actuate the switch. If I disconnect the switch, where would I disconnect it. . .Do I need to take apart the gear shifter where the actual button is, or is there somewhere under the dash, hood or car, where I could disconnect it??

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 05:15 AM   #5  
bigpoppax2
I'd say you do indeed have a transmission problem. If the indicator light goes out when you turn the button off, the button is still working as it should.

If you still want to try anyway, yes you would take the gear shifter apart, but I'd say it's a waste of time.

Search this Thread