Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

car battery

Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 10:38 AM   #1  
MrJ
car battery

The battery terminal begins to smoke and spark as I reconnect the negative terminal to the post in 1988 Lincoln Mark VIII. THe battery is not backwards. Why is it smoking and sparking? How can I get rid of the smoking and sparking?
HOw can reconnect my battery to my car and not have this happen?

Sponsored Links

MO

11-16-02, 12:08 PM   #2  
MrJ - The sparking, of course, indicates a draw on the electrical system. My experience is, the stronger the spark, the heavier the draw. Your car probably has a digital radio with a station preset memory, and the engine control module also has a memory. Both of these are constant hot(ignition key off, circuit will still be live). In addition, there may be anti-theft devices or other factory or added-on features that use battery voltage even with the key off. This may sound really asinine, but I've done it before - make sure the key is off and out of the ignition switch. Make sure headlights/running lights are off, doors/trunk are closed(so dome/trunk lights won't come on, and any other accessories are turned off. Also, check that all ground and hot connections are clean and tight - corrosion and/or looseness will cause a higher-than-normal draw. Finally, what kind of service were you doing that necessitated disconnecting the battery? When something goes wrong, I've found that the last thing I touched is a good place to start. Hope this helps; let us know - Chris

Search this Thread