Toyota Camry Oil Leak

Old 11-16-02, 01:46 PM
rmarcum
Visiting Guest
Toyota Camry Oil Leak

I've noticed some oil on the engine block around the oil filter on my '95 Camry (4 cyl). I can't tell where it's coming from. Has anyone had a similar problem or can give me some advice on things to check.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-02, 02:09 PM
rmarcum - The oil pressure sending unit, if it's near the oil filter, may have developed a leak in its diaphragm. This can cause a slow leak that can be hard to locate. Give it a look, and let us know what you find. - Chris

Old 11-16-02, 03:29 PM
OPS on top of the cly head. Common for oil cooler "O" ring between the cooler and block to leak. That's the round thing the filter screws against. Dealer will have "O" ring.

Larry

Old 11-17-02, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Also, if it's not fresh oil, likely just spillage from last oil change. My wife drives same model and the only way to change the filter without making a mess is to let it sit several hours. If you change it hot immediately after driving you make a mess, even if you cram a wad of rags or paper towels under the filter. Oil pressure sender isn't close to the filter.

This is the ONLY complaint I have ever had on it and it has 140k miles.

Old 11-17-02, 10:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not to mention that heat shield is on virtual fire when you do change it hot and if the last guy cranked on the oil filter, it's a specialty oil wrench to get it off or a pair of adjustable pliers (my plumber friend's favorite method on his old Camry....lol)