Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

OBD II tech question

TX

11-16-02, 02:10 PM   #1  
OBD II tech question

my wife came home last night in her 96 3.1 Buick skylark saying her check engine light was on.
I went to check it out and sure as day it was on I first checked the gas cap because she left it off once before and the light came on. I was going to take it to auto zone to get a scan today but the light was off. The only thing I did was add water to the cooling system about 2 quarts if that.
My question is does the OBDII store the fault even if the light is off? Or does the light have to be on to pull codes. Also do you think that adding the water fixed it I don't see what that would have to do with the emissions system. How much would a scan tool cost if I could buy one just curious?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 04:07 PM   #2  
Joe_F
The codes should be stored in the history to my knowledge, should be able to extract them.

A good scan tool costs hundreds if not thousands of bucks. I borrowed a Snap On scanner from a coworker, it was probably 2500 bucks new (very good item). There are code readers for about 250 bucks and less that can read and clear codes...you're better off with that.

Luckily, I came into an MPSI scanner for free from a former coworker. We swapped some things, and the scanner was part of the deal. I should be able to buy the upgrade to OBDII. Home run !

Visiting Guest

11-16-02, 09:35 PM   #3  
otter_
Hard trouble codes signified by the check engine light staying on any time the engine is running are stored in memory until cleared by a scan tool. Intermittent faults (now you see the light, now you don't) are kept in memory until several (sometimes as little as three) drive cycles are completed.

TX

11-17-02, 03:27 AM   #4  
I think I understand

I think I understand even with the light off codes should still be there is this correct.
I want to go to auto zone and pull the codes even with the light off.I drove the car all day yesterday and light stayed off.Thanks for all the great tech support in the past.

Search this Thread