automotive/t-bird

Old 11-14-02, 10:14 AM
thigg
Visiting Guest
automotive/t-bird

I have a 96 t bird, 3.8 liter v6, 79,000 miles. It has a low speed problem that has been getting worse over the last few months.
At in-town driving speeds...20-35mph, the engine feels as if its being fuel-starved; the car has a sputtering type feeling to it. The
problem goes away if I accelerate to 45 or so. This problem happens going up hills at cruising speeds of 30 to 40 mph unless I can accelerate or take it out of overdrive. The car is in excellent shape other than this. One other thing...it is the california low emissions model. Also, to clarify more, it runs perfectly smooth from a standing start if I accelerate medium to full on.

Old 11-14-02, 01:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start witih the information in my signature file below, including posting requirements and the basics, etc.

Old 11-15-02, 11:56 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When it does the sputtering concern if it feels like a when you go over those rough strips in the road like before a toll booth or stop sign then it's probably your transmission causing it.
The AOD transmission in those years were notorious for torque convertor shuddering(Ford even had a technical service bulletin on them).Your speed that you indicated is usually when it occurs.
Try easing up on a rather steep hill and just before it's about to shift to O.D. ease a little harder on the throttle.If your concern happens while doing this the convertor will be the problem.
To fix: Change the transmission fluid and filter.Also have the convertor drained at the same time(Theres a rubber access plug on the bottom of the bellhousing to do this!).Then refill(about 11 Quarts).Afterwards you'll need to drive it ,and if the concern continues your looking at a new torque convertor so the transmission has to be removed(Expensive).

Old 11-18-02, 04:38 AM
thigg
Visiting Guest
I had the trans. flushed as suggested; also new plugs and wires.

Old 11-18-02, 04:39 AM
thigg
Visiting Guest
oops, didn't finish...the car runs like new now, thanks.

Old 11-18-02, 11:36 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glad to here it!!!!She'll probably be good for another 80,000!!.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: