Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to tell if struts/springs are bad?

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 10:00 AM   #1  
bledsoe
how to tell if struts/springs are bad?

'93 accord, 130K miles, making a creaking noise in the front right wheel when going over bumps, especially speed bumps. I had a look and noticed that the spring was sort of bent like a banana and it was touching the shock absorber(strut). I'm guessing that the strut scraping the spring was causing the creak? The shock should not touch the spring, right? Is that how you tell that the springs need replacing?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 10:06 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Pitch the springs, struts and strut mounts all in favor of new parts. Sounds damaged and weak.

Rent a quality spring compressor if you do the work yourself. A better alternative is to take the whole strut/spring as a unit to a parts store with a machine shop and have them swap over the new parts for you. Then you can do the R&R in the car.

Compressing a spring can be dangerous business with the wrong tools.

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 10:10 AM   #3  
bledsoe
I am going to rent the spring compressor, it's free if you buy the parts from them at CAP. Thanks. I'll check autolibrary, but is this a tricky job? Just compress the spring and unbolt the struts at the top and bottom, right?

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 10:22 AM   #4  
Joe_F
As I said, rent a GOOD spring compressor, not a cheapo one. It may benefit you from having a shop or the machine shop at the parts store R&R the old struts in favor of the new and you just install the spring/strut/loaded assembly back into the car again.

You're going to need to get a wheel alignment after it is all said and done.

Search this Thread