Help.....quick!!!

Old 11-19-02, 06:52 AM
Help.....quick!!!

Ok....this just started on my way to work today, because I don't even remember hearing it when I started the car this morning. Somewhere under my hood is making a loud noise that sounds like a helicopter. It's a constant, repetitive noise, that, for lack of a beter description, sounds like helicopter blades turning. I have no idea where it is coming from, and no "Check Engine Lights" have tripped. The car is running like usual. Any ideas? HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-02, 06:52 AM
.....Sorry......I have a 1998 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 Coupe, with approximately 50K miles on it.....

Thanks

Old 11-19-02, 07:56 AM
Have you popped the hood and looked to see if maybe a belt is loose, a pulley is wobbling, etc.? Maybe something has gotten up in there that just simply needs to be removed?

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to pinpoint where a noise is coming from, especially if it is unusually loud but it can be done if you walk around the front of the car (hood raised, engine running) and focus on the sound. It will be become more pronounced to you.

Also, when you shut off the car, does the sound stop immediately or continue for a second or so? Does it start immediately after you crank the car, or after a second or two?

Kay

Old 11-19-02, 08:16 AM
Well....I popped the hood REALLY quickly when I got into the parking lot at work this morning, since I was running late as it is. The noise seemed to stop as soon as I shut off the car. I didn't have a chance to look it over extremely thoroughly, but the belt seemed to be moving fine, and the pulleys all seemed straight. All I'm saying is that nothing was extremely obvious when I looked. I will have to look again tonight, though, or maybe tomorrow morning, since it's dark by the time I get home. Thanks. Any other suggestions?

Old 11-19-02, 08:31 AM
Maybe on your break or with a flashlight, see if there is anything under the car that shouldn't be? Also, (question queen today) does it vibrate or shake at a certain speed while driving?

The reason I'm asking is that sometimes those plastic grocery bags and snag under there and make the strangest noises. Surprisingly too, they can hang in there like that longer than they last going from the store to the car with canned goods LOL. It can makes a loud whirring noise, but unless it is in the engine compartment I can't imagine it making any noise when the vehicle isn't moving. A stick or large leaf in the engine compartment could be a cause.

Check the fan area (watch those hands/fingers and ties! Best to tuck your tie into your shirt before leaning over the engine compartment! If you have longer hair, make sure it is also tucked into the back of your shirt.

Watch for other posts. Someone may have encountered something similar, or is researching what the probable causes might be. I'm looking (as you can tell) for non-mechanical failure causes of the noise. It could very well be something mechanical. If you could try to locate a more specific area of the noise it will help with the diagnosis.

Kay

Ps. My husband and his co-workers play some silly tricks on each other. Here are a couple of the stunts pulled:

plastic tie wraps attached to the drive shaft (makes a loud whirring noise as they spin).

duct or masking tape attached to the outer edge of the tailpipe: this causes a lot of smoking from that area so you think something is terribly wrong with your truck!

Old 11-19-02, 09:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Kay. You have to pinpoint the noise a little better for us to try to help. We don't know a whole lot at this point.

Old 11-19-02, 09:33 AM
does it sound like metal on metal, like something else such as exhaust? listen to how it sounds.

Old 11-19-02, 11:52 AM
It sounded like something that was spinning pretty fast was slapping against something else. It wasn't really a scraping sound, so I don't think it was metal on metal, but I don't know.

Update: I just went out to start my car on my lunch break. I started the car, and let it run for about 5 minutes. The noise never appeared. Although, the car didn't run long enough for the fan to come on, so if it has to do with that, I didn't get to check.

Old 11-19-02, 01:38 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Warm it up and listen closely for the noise. Look for the fan to turn poorly or make racket.

With the motor off and cool, spin the fan by hand (watch your hands) and listen for any noises or abnormalities in its rotation.

Old 11-19-02, 02:03 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
The alternator is scraping inside because of loose alternator bearings and the alternator probably is about to go bad because the armature winding will rub bare and cause a electrical short.It will come and go especially when the weather is cold and somtime soon the alternator may need to be changed.

Last edited by davidf; 11-19-02 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-19-02, 04:08 PM
wow, you are pretty sure about that.

How do you know he has nothing caught in the fan? Wouldn't suggest doing anything to the alternator until you verify it is bad.

Old 11-19-02, 04:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'm with Jeremy on this one.

Old 11-19-02, 07:20 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
The fan never comes on at this time of the year The alternator should be checked as source of the noise before changing it.Don't put your ear close to it though.Of course check the other postings also

Old 11-20-02, 03:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, the fan will come on this time of year.

Using the defroster=cycles the compressor=turns the fan on

Can also whip on the A/C to force the fan on and it will tell you if the fan is making noise.

Old 11-20-02, 06:07 AM
off the subject here, but are we suppose to run our a/c sometime during the winter to keep the a/c working correctly? Or is that an old wives' tale?

Kay

Old 11-20-02, 10:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When you turn on your defroster, you essentially do. It cycles the compressor.

I believe one of the owner's manuals/maintenance schedules states to do that for five minutes. I do. It cannot hurt and keeps things going.

Old 11-21-02, 07:08 AM
Update to the update. The sound only happens when I turn my heater on, and keeps making the sound for about a minute or two after I turn the heater off, and then all is well. This means I can pretty much make the sound happen on demand by turning on the heater. The sound also happened once after driving the car for more than an hour in stop and go traffic.

Does this give anyone any more ideas?

Old 11-21-02, 10:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the blower motor assembly for any debris in it or broken impellers on the fan wheel.

Use autolibrary.org below to guide you in the R&R procedure of the fan motor.

Old 11-21-02, 02:20 PM
My 2 cents

I once had a piece of paper work its way down to the heater blower motor made quite racket sounds like the old days when you would put cards in your bike spokes to be cool.
It had worked its way down thru the defrost vents on top of the dash. And as for the A/C question I run mine in the winter to keep all the seals good I only run it about 10 min a month mostly when I am not in the car I just start it and let it idle and go have a cup of coffee.

Old 11-21-02, 02:36 PM
Someone else suggested that it might be the heater blower motor, too, but my question is......it it were that, would it make such a loud racket outside the car? I would think the noise would be way more noticeable inside than outside. Also, I don't have to have the heater on for it to happen. A couple of times it started making the noise when I was just sitting in traffic, which leads me to believe it has to do with the fan on the radiator......

Old 11-21-02, 03:34 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Is there noise only when the car is moving?What happens when you put the transmission in neutral if the noise happens when the car is moving?

Old 11-21-02, 04:31 PM
hey teksup--- your fan in the radiator is not always on. The reason that you heard it come on in traffic is because your fan is set to come on by itself--without your intervention when the temperature gets to a certain degree. This one can be a no-brainer, pop the hood, and watch the fan while it is off, then have a friend throw the a/c switch so the fan comes on, and keep watching the fan to see if it makes a noise or not, then turn the a/c off and watch to see if the noise goes away.

Based on the symptoms, it really looks like that fan is a strong possibility. Make sure you don't have a dead cat or something stuck in it---

Old 11-21-02, 04:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Some vehicles always have the heater/AC fan in the passenger compartment running at very low speed (GM comes to mind) for ventilation.

If it gets noticeably worse when you turn on the heat and fan, listen closely to the blower motor as you've been told. Also listen for the engine fan.

Let us know what you find.

Old 11-23-02, 07:59 PM
Well.....I broke down and took my car into the shop today. I would have investigated it further myself, but I live in an apartment with no garage, and it's rather cold here in Cleveland right now. Anyway, it only took them about an hour to find the problem. One of the blades on my radiator fan was cracked, which caused the bearings on the fan motor to go bad, which caused the noise I was hearing. The guy said the blade was probably cracked for the last couple of months, but it just took this long for the motor to go. They ended up having to replace the whole assembly, which ended up costing about $350.00. OUCH!!! Oh well, I'm just glad it's fixed. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Old 11-24-02, 12:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depending on the cost of the parts involved, it's a little on the high side.

Most electric fans come out with a few screws and are quite easy to install.

Old 11-24-02, 05:56 PM
Well....the parts totaled about 250.00 when the guy bought them from Ford. It was a whole new assembly, not just the fan. Oh well.....what's done is done, I'm just glad my car doesn't make the awful noise anymore....