Aftermarket lights

Old 11-19-02, 10:03 PM
MattR.
Visiting Guest
Question Aftermarket lights

This may seem like a dumb questions or the wrong forum, however, I'm having difficulty getting the right information. I drive a '02 Ford Focus and now that I'm the owner of my first REAL car, I'd like to start getting into the hobby of putting performance parts and aftermarket parts on cars. My first project, a seemingly really easy one, was to install windshield washers with lights in place of the factory ones. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what to do with the wires. Where's the best place to hook them up to the parking lights? Do I need special connectors? The directions that came with the lights just tell you to hook the lights to the parking lights and which wire is the positive one. Each light comes with it's separate wires and is a separate unit from the other. What should I do?

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-02, 03:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you are going to change things around and tap into the wiring, you DEFINITELY should get an OEM service manual so you have the wiring diagram. It will tell you all you need to know.

Helm Inc is the company that publishes the manual for Ford. www.helminc.com

I do not suggest you putz with the wiring unless you are pretty adept at working with it and understand the wiring diagrams completely. You may cause more problems down the road with add ons not done properly.

Old 11-20-02, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
And with all the electronic crap designed into today's cars, mistakes can be REAL expensive.

Old 11-20-02, 05:52 AM
Agreed. I had a nice Chevy Truck almost burn to the ground b/c the previous owner had installed a CB and, when he sold it, removed the CB and left the hotwire under the seat, totally hot.

I never noticed it until it grounded on the chassis and burned up the entire wiring harness and carpet >: and he probably didn't even know of the danger.

BTW puhleeezze don't put one of those ricer-pissedoff-sounding angry killer bee performance exhaust pipes on your Focus. That makes people look like total buffoons that they actually PAID CASH to have a car that sounds like a whoopee cushion.

Old 11-20-02, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
LOL, I just love showing up to tow one of those ultra-lowered Hondas with the huge chromed muffler and having to tell the customer good luck finding someone to tow that thing!

Old 11-20-02, 11:30 AM
I don't even think you can get them on a flatbed due to the angle. Maybe a forklift or something is what you need!

Old 11-20-02, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Two options:

Wheel lift - Get out jack, jack up each side, put blocks of wood under front tires to provide enough front clearance for bar; tow at low height so as not to drag exhaust. Charge customer extra for labor.

Flatbed - Use wood ramps to cut down the initial angle onto the bed; don't worry about the exhaust because it will probably drag anyway.

Old 11-20-02, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
Or could use the method I once saw being used in Japan:

Open both front windows.
Insert 4x4
Attach sling to ends of 4x4
Pick up car with boom and place on bed of truck

True story.

Old 11-20-02, 04:45 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
?

Why Would Someone Wan't To Put Performance Parts on One of Those? *Talking about the '02 Focus*

Old 11-20-02, 05:32 PM
MattR.
Visiting Guest
Cool

Why would I want to supe up my Focus? Well here's the deal. I like it. Watch rally racing and see what a highly tune Focus looks like and does. Will I build my own rally car? NO. But not everyone has the time and money to stick themselves under a rusted-out, broken-down, tossed-out muscle car. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-20-02, 06:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
For each his own, I agree with you. Civics and other imports and some US models such as the Focus are popular with young drivers. That's fine. As you said, not everyone is for muscle cars.

My personal opinion is they are all economy cars and look, perform and drive like dishwashers and fridges. They are reliable, but lack soul, character, charisma, nostalgia, heritage, and collectability. It will simply be a used car in 10 years .

In the end it probably costs the same to mod a modern car or restore an old one, so do whatever rocks your socks .

Old 11-21-02, 06:30 AM
MattR.
Visiting Guest
Smile

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get under the hood of an old Mustang. Actually, in several years I hope to do just that. However, I am young, I have no money and I'll start where I can. What I'm going to do to the Focus is far less expensive than restoring a Mustang. I think people see movies like the Fast and the Furious and assume that's what all kids want. I have no illusions as to the capabilities of the Focus and where mods will take me. But it's cheap, simpler and within reach for the moment. It's hard to get advice when starting a hobby when the enthusiasts are part of such an exclusive club.

Old 11-22-02, 05:58 AM
I've driven a couple of slightly souped Focuses (Foci?). Believe me, they will shock you, especially the Zetec with 5manual.

Old 11-22-02, 09:36 PM
MattR.
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the backup. There's not a lot you can do anyways without a lot of engine work. However, I did see something once on a Focus with a 5.0 V-8. It was sweet but the drive change needed to be turned to rear wheel and the rear axle was swapped with a Mustang's. Obviously VERY expensive, but it was nice and had a great sound. Besides, that little Focus will surprise you as is with the ZETEC. I have gotten mine to 140 mph on the freeway. Yeah, the Mustang could get there, and faster, but still...

Old 11-22-02, 09:56 PM
Your Ford Focus did 140mph ???????

Yeah, Right!

Old 11-23-02, 04:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I doubt 140 in a Focus

That's outright dangerous too, as the tires are not rated for that speed. No need to spool it up like that, you'll be gum on the pavement if you wipe out at that speed.

As noted, for each his/her own with regard to what they like. The Focus is a low quality car, riddled with recalls, technical service bulletins and troubles for many (it's hit the media a few times, and I know a girl that has one that has had 8 recalls).

Old 11-23-02, 05:51 AM
MattR.
Visiting Guest
Doubt what you want. No reason to try and lie to a bunch of "car guys", you know? Did it scare the crap out of me? YES! Thank god it was late at night on a stretch of highway without any real turns, you know? Did I hold the speed very long? Heck NO! I just wanted to see if the car could reach the end of the speedometer is all. Will I do it again? NO!!!! Thanks for the concern though.

Old 11-23-02, 12:58 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It should be illegal because the tires aren't rated for that. Usually, there is a speed governer tied into the tire package due to the fact that the tires can't handle those type of speeds.

140 is steep for a Focus. My 79 Trans Am is limited to 125 due to rear end gearing. I'm sure it's good for the same 140, but I have no intention of trying it .

It's not likely very accurate at the end of the speedometer anyhow . So, I doubt it really hit 140 .

Old 11-24-02, 04:49 PM
Kevex
Visiting Guest
Well to answer your question, each positive should be wired to the positive of each of the marker lights and you can connect the 2 ground wires together and ground them(wire them to a ground point on the car (If you wire them to the parking lights, they will come on when you turn the marker lights on) (To find the positive on the marker lights get a test light ground the one end of the test light and probe each of the 2 wires in the marker lights, the 1 that makes the test light come on is the positive, buy some in line tappers from an auto parts store or even a Wallmart etc., and tap into them)