Trade 90 Suburban for van/king cab?

Old 11-19-02, 04:49 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trade 90 Suburban for van/king cab?

I came here for help with an immediate problem. I have had a 1990 GMC Suburban Starcraft Conversion 'van' for 6 yrs. It had 57k when I got it, now is at 188k. I LOVE IT! Captains chairs, TV, VCR, TEAKWOOD! 4WD! rear fold down bed, big enough engine to pull anything, etc.
The kicker: My husband has been saying for awhile that he thinks we need to sell it while it is still worth something. He thinks if we continue to hold on to it, later, there will be no value to use to get another car. (Did I say I Love this Car?) He also says we don't need something this big anymore. I feel we should keep it, replace what needs replacing when it needs it and keep it until at least the kids leave home (both now in high school). My brother does mechanic work for his livelihood, and can do almost anything. (I do get some things done locally, so as to not impose too bad on my brother, plus he lives an hour away).

My immediate situation: the transmission is starting to mess up. The lower planetary unit- I was told this - in a nutshell- is low gear of the transmission - a 400? is starting to sound like something flopping around when I am coasting real slow. My brother says he can rebuild it for less than $400, including his labor- vs $1700 in a shop.

This vehicle has a 5.7L 1500 and runs SO good. Yes, it's a gas hog - but I have a 1979 Corolla to compensate (Let's don't start here; hubby wants me to sell this too!!! ughhh!!!!!)

What do y'all think? He think we can sell it for $5000, as is, (it's got a new paint job). And then get a full size van for our son's R&R band touring needs - and motocross racing with son #2. Or a truck with an extended cab and a top for the bed. He thinks we can get a '95 for the same price.

WHY WOULD I WANT TO GET A $5000 VAN OR KING CAB WHEN I HAVE A $5000 SUPERIOR SUBURBAN I KNOW THE HISTORY TO?

What should I do?

(This was first posted in trucks, but no one's there and I think you guys here can give advise, feedback. Thanks!)

Old 11-19-02, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Should be getting some good feedback as soon as Joe (aka G.M. Joe) comes along.

Personally I would keep it going. Who's to say the replacement vehicle wouldn't need an expensive repair 6 months after getting it? My Chevy W-4 wrecker (5.7L Chevy engine) has 326,000 miles on it and we replace things as they wear out. The Corolla should be a good kids' car. Drive it until the engine blows or the tranny goes south.

Not to bust any bubbles, but I wouldn't count on getting $5000, especially with a bad tranny. People tend to have overinflated ideas of the value of their possessions and that applies to other items besides vehicles. AND even if it is worth $5000, you still have to find someone with $5000 who's in the market. [Tow Guy's Principle: It's worth whatever someone is willing to put in your hand today].

Trade in the hubby (while he still has some trade-in value) LOL.

Just kidding.

BTW, what's your family mechanic's opinion (not that I would express an opinion if I was in HIS shoes)?

Old 11-19-02, 05:41 AM
F
My brother does NOT want me to get rid of this car. He thinks it will be a mistake and he agrees with you that we can't get $5000 or get anything in reliable condition for that price. He says drive cars like you do.... letting the mileage add up into the hundreds of thousands..... which I think is a smart way to go..
Thanks!

Old 11-19-02, 09:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Your handle name on this forum is what I do with cars . Now you know my opinion.

Buying someone else's headaches (used cars) will start you all over again. 400 bucks for a rebuilt tranny is cheap and it will then last the life of the vehicle. You have an advantage, someone that will do the work for you and that is knowledgable....that's half the battle right there!

I have two theories on cars: I only replace them with something better or free or I continue to drive them and squeeze every last drop of value out of them. I've yet to do the former (I still have every car since I started driving, excepting ones that were really my mother's cars), but I have becoming the "clearing house" for unwanted vehicles.

Both my 89 Cavalier and 84 Oldsmobile were owned by my family members before me (my grandfather and my uncle respectively). Both have been resurrected by coming to me and I plan to get rid of neither in the near future. . I do all my own work and with minor TLC I have gotten all of my vehicles in great running condition. I have two everyday cars...in turn it costs less to keep these running than it costs some folks for ONE car .

I have also "saved" a 1979 Cutlass and 1981 Monte Carlo..both were given to me and I stretched them out 8 and 3 years respectively. I gave them back to their respective owners (my sister and brother in law respectively) to sell when they got their current home and moved to NJ. Both served me well.

My vote: Rebuild the tranny, keep the truck and see you in another 100k . You won't get 5000 for that vehicle, it's worth much less on the open market.

I agree with TowGuy

Old 11-19-02, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Think I know where I can get you a mid-90's Taurus for free, Joe.......

Old 11-20-02, 03:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I can get a couple of 'em if I wanted. No thanks

Old 11-21-02, 06:13 AM
F
OK, I need advise again. Think I can do it here instead of a new thread.

Since hubby mainly wants us to have a smaller vehicle, I am checking into selling the Suburban as is and telling them the lower gear is failing. If need be to get a good dollar, brother will rebuild the transmission and then we will sell it.

We have a 1986 Chevy S10 Blazer with 115K, new engine 20K ago. (2.8L V6) Right now brother is rebuilding the front end due to someone hitting us. It's supposed to be my 16 yr old's when it's done in a week or 2.

16 yr old has proposed us selling the Suburban and buying him a 91 Toyota Celica with 75K that's in great shape, belongs to a coworker who's selling it to go on the mission field. Price is $2500-3000.

Then, the Blazer would become the primary SUV for 18 yr old son to take across country once or twice a year hauling a Uhaul full of band equipment. And to haul dirtbikes to motocross tracks at least once per month. And for me to travel with short and sometimes long distances with my business (www.foreverkeeps.com).

I know the 2.8L is not a strong engine and the transmission and engine will need replacing more frequently than my big suburban, But, since the miles are still so low, and the fuel efficiency is so much better, would we be crazy, or is it a good idea. Hubby and brother think it's feasable.

Our studies for getting a new stranger vehicle is pointing to a 94-97 Nissan Pathfinder of Jeep Cherokee.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-02, 10:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The S10 Blazer should be fine for him. The gas mileage is a bit better, but the 2.8 is underpowered and no fuel miser. It will do fine in the long haul if well kept.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: