fuel pump or fuel line to blame?

Old 11-20-02, 09:22 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
fuel pump or fuel line to blame?

My friend just had his 2000 xterra break down on him. They towed it, replaced fuel pump, he's back in action. I'm just wondering how the shop debugged this. Questions - how can you test to see if the fuel pump is to blame or if there's a clogged fuel line? I have a fuel pressure tester, so I know how to test at the fuel rail for pressure. Also, how would you ever know if one of your fuel injectors is clogged? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-02, 09:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What did the shop diagnosis reveal? There are diagnostic charts in the book to determine where the fault is. That is what the dealership follows.

A fuel pressure check with a gauge and pinching the return line can tell you where to start.

No matter though, 2000 vehicle, the dealer should have handled it for free and I'm sure they did.

Old 11-20-02, 09:56 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
yup, free as in $350! (includes tow)

They said a connection on the fuel pump rotted.

What book are you talking about? I'm just asking in general how one would go about debugging this? how about the injectors question?

Old 11-20-02, 09:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The OEM service manual tells the dealer how to repair the vehicle. If you want to be on par with the information the dealer uses, you need the OEM manual for the vehicle in question.

In the manual, it gives diagnostic charts and procedures to help the technician hone in on the problem.