Apply brakes..Van pulls to right

Old 11-20-02, 02:41 PM
Apply brakes..Van pulls to right

Ford Econoline Van - E150 - 48K miles......I had new front pads and new rotors installed 2 weeks ago. I now find that when I apply the brakes the van pulls to the right. The mechanic says that he has to look at it. What could the problem be?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-02, 03:52 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Are the brakes spongy when you apply them.Maybe he got air inside the brake caliper .Another possibility is the brake fluid in the brake fluid resevoir is almost to the overflow level ,which is what would happen when the mechanic pushed in the brake caliper piston so he can fit the thicker new pads on both sides of the brake rotor.Somtimes they forget to siphon some of the brake fluid from the resevoir to bring the level down to the -full-indicator mark on the side of the brake fluid resevoir .

Old 11-20-02, 06:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You don't state what year....can't help much.

Most probable cause is bad rubber flex lines to the caliper. They rot from the inside out and act as check valves. Replace both lines, cheap insurance.

Old 11-21-02, 06:16 AM
RMX
Was there any "pulling" problem before you had the work done? If not, then it's not the brake lines, it's poor workmanship from your mechanic. He could have installed pads improperly, or like davidf said, improper fuild level. Only if he opened the brake lines would you get air in the calpier or lines. I'd get it back to him ASAP. A panic stop under this condition could cause an accident!

Old 11-21-02, 08:01 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
some of these places , dont take the time to wire brush the slides and lub them , if rusted , could be that slides on calapers arent moving the same , just a thought

Old 11-22-02, 05:08 AM
Thanks for all your thoughts on this subject. I'll let you know what the cause was as soon as it's corrected.