98 mitsubishi galant won't stay running

Old 11-21-02, 08:23 AM
breezygraham
Visiting Guest
98 mitsubishi galant won't stay running

98 mitsubishi galant - went to start car, it wouldn't start. jumped it off, it ran fine, radio and light kept going dim, it finally died while i was waiting at redlight. jumped it off again and drove for a bit, died at stop sign. jumped it off again and made it home. soon as you turn lights on, goes dead. replaced alternator. was very hard to plug alternator back up. almost like it wasn't right part. jumped it off, as soon as you take cables off battery, it died. belt that goes around alternator pulley was whining. let the tension out of belt a bit. jumped it off again. once belt quit whining, took cables off and car was kinda running, but not consistent, acted like it was going to die. finally did die. had battery tested also. battery was good. i quit messing with it and it is still sitting in yard. i am a chick and i know enough about cars to keep myself going, but this one has me stumped.

Old 11-21-02, 09:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Replace the alternator with a Mitsubishi rebuilt unit and put a new drive belt on it. Sounds like a defective rebuilt.

Check all connections as well when doing the repair.

Old 11-21-02, 09:49 AM
breezygraham
Visiting Guest
I thought about doing that, but the thing was so hard to get on. I have small hands, but I think you have to have miniature hands to reach the bolts on a foreign car. The alternator is new, so should i take it back and try to find a rebuilt one, or swap it for another new one?

Old 11-21-02, 09:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you didn't buy a Mitsubishi rebuilt one (from the dealer), I suggest that you do. The quality of many aftermarket rebuilds varies greatly.

Old 11-21-02, 10:00 AM
breezygraham
Visiting Guest
The one I bought came from Autozone. I'll take it back and see what I can come up with. I better do some calling around. I usually get screwed (not the good kind) cause I'm a chick. Hopefully, I won't have too much trouble finding a rebuilt one. Thanks a million. I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-21-02, 10:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get the part # from Mitsubishi and go online to the various dealers online to check the price.

Parts.com is one place you can try when you get the part # from the dealer to compare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: