Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

codes

Visiting Guest

11-20-02, 05:43 PM   #1  
trueshot
codes

Wondering about the diag. codes.A-zone said they do it for free,but the "check engine" light has to be on for them to get the codes.Pep Boys said they can do it for $70.00 and they don't need the light to be on because their diagnostic machine is more in depth.They aren't feeding me a line are they?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-20-02, 05:54 PM   #2  
davidf
If there are any codes in the computer, the check light will be on or have been on since the last codes erasure.

Last edited by davidf; 11-20-02 at 06:15 PM.

Visiting Guest

11-20-02, 06:11 PM   #3  
Joe_F
They should be able to pull the codes from the computer since they are stored. You do not mention the year or model specifics.

Visiting Guest

11-21-02, 04:53 AM   #4  
trueshot
The question was just generalized.I was refering to all vehicles that it would apply to.If I unplugged some sensors and the engine light came on,would that in turn tell the auto shop that the sensors were bad,or would they zero everything out and start over?(1988 ford bronco 2,2.9.L........no check engine light on.)(1996 ford contour 4 cyl efi....engine light on)

Visiting Guest

11-21-02, 09:59 AM   #5  
Joe_F
OBD I (pre 1995 in most cases) will wipe out the codes when the battery is disconnected.

OBD II (1995 to the present, some exceptions) require a scanner to properly clear the codes and will store them in hard memory, even if the light is off. Like a "History" file.

Search this Thread