Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electrical Problem With '89 Buick

Visiting Guest

11-20-02, 07:02 PM   #1  
heartsong
Electrical Problem With '89 Buick

The 20a ctsy fuse has blown in my buick century causing the interior lights, power locks, horn and other functions on that circuit to fail. I replaced the fuse but it immediately blew out again. There seems to be too much electricity for the fuse to handle. What could be causing this problem and how do I fix it? Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

11-21-02, 09:40 AM   #2  
This could be a not-so-fun endeavor, but you probably have a direct short to ground on one of the circuits that is controlled by this fuse.

You can check the hot leads at the devices on this circuit for continuity to ground. (And I mean the hot leads right where they hook up to the device... i.e right at the plug-in for the horn, right on the hot contact for the dome light(s), right on the hot lead for the power lock motors (fun fun fun)).

If any hot leads have continuity to ground then you've found your problem wire.

Finding the short is going to be the fun part.

Visiting Guest

11-21-02, 09:42 AM   #3  
Joe_F
This will require a wiring diagram to trace and find out what goes to what.

You would be best to get an Alldata.com subscription or pick up a GM service manual if you are going to tackle the project yourself.

Visiting Guest

11-26-02, 04:38 PM   #4  
heartsong
Thank You

Thank you so much Jason and Joe F

Search this Thread