overheating honda 1988 accord

Old 11-21-02, 06:57 PM
chivasgeo
Visiting Guest
overheating honda 1988 accord

I have a 1988 honda accord, 4-door and I believe it has a 1.6L 4 cyl carbureted enging. I have just replaced the timing belt, water pump, a/c & power steering belts; as well as flush and changed coolant. In stop and go traffic, my temp gauge needle can go as high but not reach the red mark. At one time I really noticed it way up there close to the red mark but not touching it; I parked my car and opened the hood, upon close inspection I noticed the coolant rising inside the coolant reservoir tank, so much that it overflowed and coolant leaked out of the reservoir tank and onto the road over which the car was parked. I started the car and went back out to inspect the reservoir tank again, slowly the coolant level went down in between the min and max levels, as I noticed the level go down, the fan started to operate, as it should. The overheating issue only happens in stop and go traffic; any suggestions or comments would be appreciated

George

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-02, 07:36 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Did you change the water pump because of the high temp ? .If so, then maybe the water pump is defective, otherwise the radiator may be at fault if it has not been changed since the car was new.See if the rad cooling fins can be pushed in easily which means bad contact between fin and rad due to corrosion and hence bad heat transfer and a new rad is needed or your old one rebuilt.You could also go for a rad back flush cleaning which does a good job of cleaning the inside which also may be the cause of overheating and don't overlook the thermostat which can go bad if not changed since '88.If it is hot in your area, make sure the cooling fan comes on.

Old 11-21-02, 11:59 PM
chivasgeo
Visiting Guest
I changed the water pump because I was in process of changing the timing belt, ever since then I've noticed the temp gauge needle reach near the red mark. What else can I do to determine if the water pump is defective? I bought the part brand new from a honda dealer, along with the timing belt and oher belts (ac & power steering).

Old 11-22-02, 12:38 AM
Sounds like you have air in the cooling system that needs to be bled out. Try taking off the radiator cap and letting the engine idle at operating temp with the heat selector all the way over to hot, you will probably see a few more rises in the coolant level or bubbles and then it should settle down.

Old 11-22-02, 03:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
2.0 engine in this year Accord.

Did you change the thermostat?

Old 11-22-02, 08:27 AM
chivasgeo
Visiting Guest
As for the air in the system, I believe the coolant has circulated enought to bleed out any air pockets...as for changing the thermostat, I will do that today... and yes thanks for correcting me, it is a 2.0 liter engine...I'll inform of the outcome after replacing the thermostat, thanks again everyone!

Old 11-22-02, 04:07 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Check to see if the water pump is leaking around the seal and if the pump is not visible then check for a antifreeze leak in the general area where you believe it is.If the pump is circulating the antifreeze then the top rad. hose and the bottom radiator hose should be hot at normal temperature but you said the temperature guage reads too hot only on stop and go traffic so the antifreeze probably is circulating.If changing the thermostat doesn't fix the problem then try changing the rad cap.Usually the rad is finished when the car overheats on stop and go but change the other parts and do the other proceedure before spending a lot of money on a new radiator.

Old 11-23-02, 06:23 PM
chivasgeo
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

davidf and Joe_F:

Thanks for both of your response/suggestions/comments...I ended up replacing the thermostat and thermostat housing due to pit corrosion near the edges where the new thermostat is placed over, also I replaced the radiator cap. All the parts except the radiator cap came from the honda dealer at around $50 bucks and it took me a couple of hours. I tested the car trying to simulate heavy stop and go traffic and the temp needle gauge never went past the half mark! It was fun! Thanks again!

George

Old 11-24-02, 12:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not a problem and you're welcome. Good job!