Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hesitation

Visiting Guest

11-22-02, 04:38 PM   #1  
vega
Hesitation

1994 Dodge Intrepid 3.3.........vehicle hesitates and stumbles at 2,000 rpm.....whether in park or at speed. EGR, TPS. and temp control all new.

I thought I found the problem.......the ignition coil pack. According to my Haynes manual. ....primary resistance should fall between .45 - .65 ohms and secondary 7,000 - 15,800 ohms.

My secondary is within specs, but primary runs 2 to 3 ohms. Before I bought a new one I checked out 2 aftermarket coil packs. They both ran 2 to 3 ohms ! What's up?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-22-02, 05:58 PM   #2  
davidf
Check other causes like gas filter which causes stumble or surging.Two to three ohms is ok.Make sure you zero the ohm meter by shorting the probes and setting the pointer to zero ohms.If you measured the resistance after the coil was firing then there may be a little bit of power in the coil because coils store electricity and that will give the ohmeter a false reading.Short the coil output(secondary winding) to ground before measuring the resistance but it .

Last edited by davidf; 11-22-02 at 06:14 PM.

Visiting Guest

11-23-02, 04:20 AM   #3  
vega
Originally posted by davidf
Check other causes like gas filter which causes stumble or surging.Two to three ohms is ok.Make sure you zero the ohm meter by shorting the probes and setting the pointer to zero ohms.If you measured the resistance after the coil was firing then there may be a little bit of power in the coil because coils store electricity and that will give the ohmeter a false reading.Short the coil output(secondary winding) to ground before measuring the resistance but it .
I understand, but would a bad gas filter cause it to hesitate at ONLY 2,000 rpm?

11-24-02, 05:42 AM   #4  
I had a similar problem with my truck. Replaced coil, ignition module, fuel pressure regulator. None of it helped. Finally used a $10 spark gap tester and found no spark on one plug. Hadn't checked before because the wires were fairly new. So if you haven't changed them, try changing or at least testing your plug wires. They should read about 5000 to 10000 ohms. Even a new one can be bad.

Visiting Guest

11-25-02, 01:44 PM   #5  
davidf
If the gas filter has not been changed in a long time then it should be changed.My festiva had a surging problem at cruising speed and changing the gs filter fixed the problem .Its part of a tuneup anyway so you should have changed it.

Visiting Guest

11-25-02, 02:55 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Start by checking my posts and links below in my signature file and pulling your codes from the computer. Autozone does this free.

Search this Thread