What Is Happening Do You Think?

Old 11-23-02, 06:17 PM
oceanblueeyes
Visiting Guest
What Is Happening Do You Think?

I have a 1987 Ford 150 302. Yesterday I was driving and slowed down to turn and the engine just shutdown, it did not choke down, just went dead. It cranked back up and I made it home.

This morning when I started to leave I could hear a noise from under the truck,seems to be coming from the oil pan area. The sounds speeds up and slows down when the truck does. My oil is on full level and oil pressure is holding. The sound seems to be a dry clanking. It was still shutting down today when I had to stop or slow down real slow.

Temperature went up alittle bit not to the hot zone but when I pulled into driveway to stop, it boiled over and backed up into the reservor, yet the gauge didnt go all the way over, just moved about half way.

Any information you can give me will be appreciated very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-02, 10:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When was the last time the cooling system saw service?

Old 11-24-02, 10:29 AM
oceanblueeyes
Visiting Guest
Joe F.

I serviced it about one month ago. New anti-freeze at that time.
So what do you think?

Old 11-24-02, 12:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
This is why splitting posts delays an answer and wastes time.

Folks: DO NOT start a different post thinking it gets you a faster answer. It doesn't . It slows everyone down, splits/leaves out information and wastes time.

Your post was answered by me in the OTHER post you made. Your symptoms differ here from the other post you made.

Check your oil pressure for starters.

Old 11-26-02, 07:48 AM
For the heating concern i'd check the thermostat.Even if you've put a new one in i'd still check it,i've seen many a new one not work properly.Also make sure this thing is properly filled with coolant.An air pocket in the system will usually hang in around the thermostat housing area, thereby letting your gauge not move much although the truck is overheating.
As far as the noise concern is this thing a standard or auto transmission?.If standard it could be a throwout bearing or clutch concern.

Old 11-26-02, 11:42 AM
oceanblueeyes
Visiting Guest
Fordtech

It is an automatic. Could the oil pump make that noise?

Old 11-26-02, 12:57 PM
It might!! It could be also be a connecting rod also.It would be hard to say for sure without actually hearing it though.You might take it to a near by mechanic and let him have a listen,most of the time they'll do this without charge just to try and get your business.