Valve Cover gasker question

Old 11-25-02, 09:50 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Valve Cover gasker question

I've got a 1997 chrysler LHS 88541 miles (3.5L). I need to change the valve cover gasket. Someone I know that works at pepboys said not to buy their gasket or anyone else to only buy it from the dealer. I find it hard to believe that no one else makes a good gasket for this car. I have pepboys, autozone ,napa ,carquest are main stores in town. I would even mail order it if I have to. My local chrysler dealer is crazy, ever part I have ever call them on is $50 to $100 dollars more than aftermarket. I just like know if anyone has change gasket on this car and used aftermarket gasket without problems. I would appreicate anyone comments on this.

Thanks

Old 11-25-02, 10:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Felpro gaskets are fine for this application. Many times they improve on the sealing properties over the OEM gasket.

Old 11-25-02, 01:50 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Why do you want to change the valve gasket.If it because they are leaking a little oil then you are wasting your time because they are supposed to leak a little and if they are leaking a lot then maybe the coverr bolts need a little tightening but if you overtighten them then the cover will warp and changing the gasket won't help.

Old 11-25-02, 02:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Valve cover gaskets should not leak. If they do, they are bad or overtorqued...which is what you will do by overtightening it.

Old 11-25-02, 04:17 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Joe,I heard an car expert on a radio show which I listen to every saturday say that a little oil oozing from valve gaskets is normal and nothing should be done to stop it unless it does it a lot and As for me,I stopped worrying about things that can't be fixed until they get to the point of annoyance.
About that posting that said the owner of the car changed the filters because of a rich micture,I didn't know she was refering to your answere or any other moderators.I thought she was talking about one of us non-moderators because she didn't refer to you by name and the posting sounded like she changed the filters because of damage brought on by a rich mixture.Notice the posting said filters[plural] so one assumes dammaged was done to the filters like oil filter.But you were right about air filters causing a rich mixture and I am always telling people to change the air filter .Everytime I check someones air filter, I wonder how the car can still run

Old 11-25-02, 07:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
"Sweat" is not leakage, two different things. If you lose oil on the dipstick, you have a leak . Sweating is when the dirt is attracted to the oily film on the gasket area. Different ball game.

As for filter changes, they are maintenance, not failure items. Always start with a full tuneup when in doubt, and this includes all filters. The vehicle will only run better and get better fuel mileage.

Old 11-25-02, 07:33 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
That is what I heard from the car expert ,lookes like sweat .

Old 11-26-02, 12:15 AM
S
I wouldnt hesitate one bit to use the gaskets from NAPA or CarQuest. When all else fails Felpro is one of the best on the market. Just used a Felpro kit on my NP203 Transfer case and it had every little gasket I needed in the kit. Chrysler doesnt carry some of them any more or the parts guys here are just too lazy to look them up!

Old 11-26-02, 12:57 AM
I have seen people sold oil leak repairs for oil sweating.

Sweat vs leak

Leak is considered when it drips off and reaches the floor or ground.

Sweat never makes it that far, all machinery "sweats" over time at gaskets and seals.

Larry

Old 11-26-02, 05:09 AM
O
Thanks everyone for replying. Its not sweat (I have never heard that engine suppose to leak?), it oil leaking, not bad, I can usually make from oil to oil without adding oil. But it dont take much oil leak to start collectioning dirt or smell it burning on hot parts. I already snug the bolts down help for while but it starting up slowly again. I just planning ahead, dont like to get got off guard when he becomes a have to do thing. Incase anyone is curious the local dealer wants $25 dollar per valve cover gasket and that dont include the oil rings for the spark plug tubes their $2.50 apiece there is 6 of them. I have always been happy with Napa parts (usually brand name repacked with their name). I havent tried Car-quest, I wish their web site had more details.

Thanks again to everyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: