Emission Test - Honda Accord LX-I

Old 11-25-02, 12:26 PM
ViLe
Visiting Guest
Question Emission Test - Honda Accord LX-I

I went in for a car inspection test, in Burlington-NJ, and the results were a "Failed" on Emission test.

The test failed because of the "CO% or Carbon Monoxide" Reading level (1.78) was higher than the standard level (1.10). I was given the test results along with the list of authorized Emission Repair Shops listings and addresses or told that if I can fix it yourself.

Someone says that this could be caused by the catalytic converter not working or function properly. Is this right? Is there any way that I can tell if the catalytic converter is working or not? What can I do to solve the problem?

My car is a 1987 Honda Accord LX-I, automatic transmission, 4 cyls. It has not been tuned up just over a year and half.

Thank you.

Old 11-25-02, 12:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You didn't say how many miles since that tune-up.. A dirty air filter can cause high CO.

Larry

Old 11-25-02, 02:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with a tuneup and all filters. Way overdue. Change your O2 sensor.

Most times this will bring it into compliance. CO is due to partially burned fuel.

Old 11-25-02, 04:38 PM
Baldguy
Visiting Guest
Hondas and Smog Tests

Definitely tune it and think about maybe cleaning the throttle body if applicable.

Also, I suggest that you run that sucker and get it good and hot. Run it on the freeway or drive it around awhile. When you get to the smog place, park it and LET IT IDLE. Let the fans come on...the point it is to get that catylic converter good and hot.

I've passed every time since I've been doing this.

Old 11-26-02, 11:58 AM
ViLe
Visiting Guest
Re: Emission Test - Honda Accord LX-I

Originally posted by ViLe
I went in for a car inspection test, in Burlington-NJ, and the results were a "Failed" on Emission test.

The test failed because of the "CO% or Carbon Monoxide" Reading level (1.78) was higher than the standard level (1.10). I was given the test results along with the list of authorized Emission Repair Shops listings and addresses or told that if I can fix it yourself.

Someone says that this could be caused by the catalytic converter not working or function properly. Is this right? Is there any way that I can tell if the catalytic converter is working or not? What can I do to solve the problem?

My car is a 1987 Honda Accord LX-I, automatic transmission, 4 cyls. It has not been tuned up just over a year and half.

Thank you.
First of all, I want to thank you everyone that responded to my question, without you I dpn't know what to do since I don't much about car. Following is my response, please give me some advice.

This car had about 198K of miles on it. It had been tune up since 189K or 190K approximately.
I will tune up my car as you recommended: replace spark plugs, air filters, and the O2 Sensor. But I do not know what the O2 sensor is, please help.
What else do I need to change?

Old 11-27-02, 10:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Since you don't know what was changed during the tuneup, assume the first guy skimped and did it wrong.

Make sure there are no exhaust leaks as well. Rectify any that you find.

A new catalytic converter may well exceed the value of such a vehicle, and likely won't solve anything.

The O2 sensor is located in the exhaust manifold. See the autolibrary.org link located in my signature file below for some ideas.

Old 11-28-02, 05:24 PM
ViLe
Visiting Guest
I have replaced all four spark plugs, and air filter except the fuel filer, which I tried to replace but I was having trouble replace it.

There are may be three botes used to secure the gas (fuel) lines--one side has a single bote and the other side has two botes, which are one bleed (?) bote on top the flat bote.

I can opened the single bote and the bleed bote on top of the flat bote. But I was having trouble removing the flat bote (the bote underneath of the bleed bote).

Please advice and I hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving. I wish you all well.

Vile

Old 11-28-02, 09:02 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dont forget to change the oil and filter after you have done a complete tuneup as it may be diluted with unburned fuel.

Cut and paste this link for info on how to change the fuel filter.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton%20Manuals/8680m/8680CH01_15.HTML

Cut and paste this link for info on the Oxygen sensor. Should be replaced every 50K. You may have one or two of them.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton%20Manuals/8680m/8680CH04_20.HTML

Are your plug wires, distributor cap and rotor in good shape?

Old 11-29-02, 08:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You aren't far off from passing, so I suggest a complete tune up and then it should probably pass. I agree with the O2 sensor as well.

Run it a while to warm it up before testing. I find that when I let my 84 Oldsmobile cool down, it "fails" and then after running it, it flies right through.

I heated it up really well this last time (last weekend) before going on the NYS dyno and it flew right through the first time with flying colors, passing easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: