Calling toyotaman........

Old 11-24-02, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Calling toyotaman........

Hey, toyman - what's the most likely front-end part to be worn out on my wife's '95 Camry (140k miles)? Front tires wearing on the inside edge and they have (if I remember my terminology correctly) a negative camber (noticable lean "in" at the top). Only work ever done in that area was lower arm bushings. Car tracks straight down the road, but has a bit of a shake (not tire problem).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-02, 05:15 PM
Sorry but nothing common. Never seen lower control arm bushings on that year either. Maybe a loose rack end? That car can have a little over neg 1* camber and still be good.

As far as shake ...95% time related to tire/wheel or balance

Larry

Old 11-25-02, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks. Was hoping there was a common wear item to start the diagnosis trail. Was thinking lower ball or something in the strut/spring area. The lean in at the top is quite noticable, but of course my eyeball isn't calibrated to the 1 degree range. It's really more of a nuisance thing than anything else; car drives fine, but knowing something is not QUITE right is annoying.

Old 11-25-02, 05:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you checked for worn front end parts by wiggling the wheels and using a pinch bar to check for movement in the tie rods?

Old 11-25-02, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Did some preliminary shaking, rotating, pinching, and wiggling yesterday but found no obvious problems. Only discernible symptom is what appears to be an overly negative camber (although, I confess, it may always have had that appearance without my noticing it).

Old 11-26-02, 12:47 AM
They do have a noticable lean if you compare the front to the rear because of the neg camber.

Larry

Old 11-27-02, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
We've had the car about 5 years and I never noticed it until recently. Just happened to be sitting in my garage drinking a cold one and in a position to see the camber difference between front and rear. Are you saying that is normal?

Old 11-27-02, 10:31 PM
Ya....thats normal when you compare the front to the rear... are the tires worn?.....you have to rotate them every 4k-6k.

When was the last alignment?

Larry

Old 11-28-02, 12:19 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Camber specs for the '95 Camry are -.58 degrees +or- .75 degrees for the front, .43 degrees + or - .75 degrees for the rear.

You should not be able to notice a signifigant difference between the front and rear camber angles if the car is properly aligned.

Old 11-28-02, 04:13 AM
Trust me you will be able to see the difference. Bottom line just have the alignment checked.

Larry

Old 11-28-02, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Got wear on the insides; the rotation was way overdue (you know, the old "cobbler's kids need new shoes" routine). It'll go for alignment first chance (hopefully < Christmas, lol). I don't remember seeing where the camber would be adjusted. Autolibrary makes reference (section on struts, I think) to a camber bolt? Couldn't figure out what it was referring to.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 11-28-02, 05:08 AM
In theory the front could be -1.33 and the rear could be +1.18 and it would still be in spec. With those readings the difference between the front and rear is 2.5 and that you would notice.

I wouldn't set an alignment to the extremes but in certain cases I would use it to my advanage. For example customer complaining of stability in cross winds=go towards the max in neg camber .

People also have this conception that at 65 mph they let go of the wheel and it should stay in the lane. They also think roads are level(esp the center lane of a 3 lane hiway) if they were there would be a lot of puddles.

For some of those reasons I "lean" towards more neg camber.

Larry

BTW try standing with you feet together and have some one try to push you to the side.

Now spread you feet apart and try the same thing. Thats the effect of neg camber. Surprisingly it dosen't hurt tire wear.

Old 11-28-02, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
No disputes here; the car tracks fine down the road and the inside tire wear is not excessive. It just LOOKS a little odd (and as I said, it may have had that since we bought it; just that I NOTICED it).

Old 11-29-02, 08:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you checked for any worn parts? If none, get it aligned and have two new tires installed. Should be fine and ready to go at that point.