Check Engine Lite

Old 11-26-02, 07:41 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
Check Engine Lite

1993 ford van , econoline , with a 300 6 cyl ,trans started going bad , so took it to trans man and had it overhauled , had check engine lite that would come on and then go out , and told trans man about check engine lite , so he did a code check on it , but no readout , still got this darn lite coming on and off , mostly when i go up a hill and then it will go out well going down hill , lol , what do ya think , can't fix it unless we can get a code to show up can we , thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-02, 09:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It should store a code. Try going to any Autozone and see if they can pull the code with their scanner. Free of charge.

Old 11-27-02, 04:56 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
pulling code

the trans doc said the check engine lite is'nt staying on long enought to get a code , thanks , when i.m down state next time i will stop and let them try to see what,s up , i was concerned that it was a code that would effect my trans , will let you know when i find out something

Old 11-28-02, 09:17 AM
roland1978
Visiting Guest
how many miles are on the van? it might be time to do some engine work. the check engine light tells you that the computer is finding something not operating correctly. Does it flash or is it no flash. If it is no flash then it may have to do with emissions. Witch may involve air full mixture.

Old 11-28-02, 09:39 AM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
check engine lite

when it comes on it will stay on for a few minutes ,and then go out , mite not see it again tell i go up a little grade in the road , on the flat road i never have seen it , done a tuneup , replaced wires,cap , rotor , plugs fuel filter ,seems like whe i go let someone check it , the lite is never on , van runs great , got 170,000 miles on the old girl and it looks like brand new yet , only other problems i have with it is a rusted oil pan , junk from factory ,nothing esle is rusted under this van ,1993 ford conversion van , 300 , 6cyl

Old 11-28-02, 09:59 AM
roland1978
Visiting Guest
have you had a shop run a analizer on your van. A mechanic may need to do a road test with analizer hooked to van so it can detect the problem when it happens. Pulling codes does not always till what is really wrong. Codes till that a censor has detected something wrong, it doesn't tell what is exactly wrong. If you haven't had it hooked up to a analizer that is what i would do. Playing guess work can get expensive.

Old 11-29-02, 05:52 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
analizer

sounds like the way to go , got a old school buddy that owns a shop , will take it down state and have him check it out , thanks