Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1980 Dodge Colt

Visiting Guest

11-27-02, 09:47 PM   #1  
smurfette
1980 Dodge Colt

okay, be gentle, Ive never done this... i was surfing the 'net to see if I could learn why this car is clunking when it goes into a gear. It is a automatic with shifter on the floor and when I took it out of Park and put it in Drive it went "clunk".

um... i don't really know.... there were CV boots replaced on front wheels.... does that mean anything.....

Last edited by smurfette; 11-27-02 at 10:03 PM.

Sponsored Links

11-27-02, 10:00 PM   #2  
rear wheel drive?

is it rear drive?

11-27-02, 10:06 PM   #3  
nope
which tires spin if u gas it rear or front

11-27-02, 10:08 PM   #4  
does the car feel like it "sits down" when you put in gear?
i mean does the back end drop down a little

Visiting Guest

11-27-02, 10:10 PM   #5  
smurfette
oh dear... now you see why I selected the blonde smurf...

I only drove it today and didn't do any "spin outs" so cannot answer the question....

I bought this car for my son a few seeks ago and today I borrowed it and discovered it has this clunk when you change it into/out of gears.....

guesss I should get more info eh??

Visiting Guest

11-27-02, 10:12 PM   #6  
smurfette
oh golly ..... does it 'sit down"...... i'm not sure..... we will be driving it again tomorrow and I can check to see about the spins and sits....

Visiting Guest

11-27-02, 10:14 PM   #7  
smurfette
I really DO appreciate your trying to help out.... I will get more info and come back to this board when I have details..... I thought maybe it would be something obvious but I guess that was being fairly naive....

11-27-02, 10:15 PM   #8  
i'll make it easy

if you go look at the car -underneath
if u se a pipe 4" in diameter going from the front all the way to the middle of the back tires
your u-joints are shot
they should be about 20 bucks each and u will need 2
but.. i wouldnt replace them in a car that age .let i clunck
it should last for a while

11-27-02, 10:17 PM   #9  
how many miles on it?

Visiting Guest

11-27-02, 10:21 PM   #10  
smurfette
thank u for being kind, i have been learning a lot about cars since I got this one.... I paid $1900 (Cdn) even tho it is OLD it only had 63,000 kms

the owner had towed it behind a motorhome as a seasonal car (it didn't even have a block heater - it has been stored indoors)

so I was hoping it wasn't a lemon... but the CV boots ripped first thing and the choke had to be fine-tuned..... now with this "clunk" I feel pretty stupid for buying it......

oh wells.... live and learn

11-27-02, 10:25 PM   #11  
towed?

i could actually have 200000 k on it
he should have removed the drive shaft when driving
if it has the pipe from front to rear i wouldt worry just yet
it is an easy fix, but not needed if it is a moderate clunk
what part of our country u from

Visiting Guest

11-27-02, 10:29 PM   #12  
smurfette
Alberta, Canada

when I brought the car home I took it to my mechanic for a inspection and asked if he could tell by looking whether or not it was 63K or 163K oras you suggust 263K and he felt it was 63K.... there was original paint and swtickers under neath.... but I dunno.... only time will tell..... I am pretty embarrased to take it back to him with thies clunk but..... what th4e heck....

11-27-02, 10:33 PM   #13  
when a person tows a car on a trailer and the drive wheels are left on the ground, the car is accumulating mileage,
if this is a rear wheel drive and he did not remove the driveshat(which is 4 bolts..very easy) the car actually has unrecorded miles
if it is rear wheel drive i would not be to worried

good luck

toronto here

Visiting Guest

11-27-02, 10:35 PM   #14  
smurfette
thx for the tips...... i am outta here til next time.....

Visiting Guest

11-28-02, 05:58 AM   #15  
Joe_F
Some of these were front drive, but I believe the wagons were rear drive.

As noted, if you have a differential in the rear (called a "rear end"), then it is rear wheel drive. Bad U joints are likely.

Another possibility for both front and rear drive cars based on what you describe are broken motor and trans mounts. Have someone watch the engine movement as you take it in and out of gear. If it shifts a lot, there are broken motor and trans mounts....not too bad of a repair to do.

DO NOT sink a lot of money into this car. They were junk from new in 1980, totally worthless now. Repairs will soak you on something this old and they aren't nearly as good as a Toyota Corolla of this same vintage.

Visiting Guest

11-28-02, 11:59 AM   #16  
smurfette
just took the Colt on another road trip (115 km) and learned it IS in fact front wheel drive....
I will speak to my mechanic to determine the cause of that clunk definitively and let you all know the outcome...
thanks again for the help....
i may have more questions as they arise.....
bye fer now.

CANADA

11-28-02, 12:38 PM   #17  
You may also want to make sure that the engine is not idling too high.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-28-02, 11:38 PM   #18  
I agree on the motor mounts. I bet thats where the trouble is. I also agree that this was no prize winner of a car, and I wouldn't go too far spending $$ on it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread