Organic and Metalic brakes...what's the difference

Old 11-28-02, 07:06 AM
Angel626
Visiting Guest
Question Organic and Metalic brakes...what's the difference

Hi, it's me agian

I have a 1997 Mazda 626 2.5 L V6 engine. It has an ABS system all four wheels have disc brakes. I was wondering what is the difference between Metalic and Organic brakes? Wich would be recomended for my car?

Last question: I once went to a Mechanic who told me that the oil head gasket was leaking and he would have to reseal it. Is he referring to the valve cover gasket? Since I can definitely see traces of oil leaking from both front and rear.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-02, 09:10 AM
roland1978
Visiting Guest
for your first question, the difference is the material that is in the pad or shoe. metallic has metal fragments and the organic is non abrasive material. Metallic gives you better stopping power and the organic is just cheaper. Your second question, it sounds like your valve cover gaskets because if it was the head gaskets the car would run very poorly.

Old 11-28-02, 10:53 AM
Definately use semi-metallic pads on this one!!

Old 11-28-02, 04:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Use the OEM Mazda pads or very good quality aftermarket ones (such as Raybestos or Wagner). Cheap imitations will make a lot of dust and fade and make tons of noise.

As for the gasket question, it depends. The valve cover gasket covers the valvetrain. The head gasket is the one sandwiched between the block and cylinder head.

The head gasket is a pain to change and requires a substantial amount of the engine to come apart. The head will also have to be sent out to a machine shop to make sure it is still flat and will seal well.

Old 11-30-02, 08:58 AM
Angel626
Visiting Guest
Thanx y'all! I appreciate the info!