Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Locked rear wheel on Honda

Visiting Guest

11-28-02, 09:47 AM   #1  
Billsc
Locked rear wheel on Honda

Guys...me again...My 88 Honda Accord has a problem with the right rear wheel being locked. it had not been driven for almost a month and when I started to drive it the right rear wheel would not roll. I figured the hand brake cable was stuck so I kept putting the brake on and off to try and dislodge it....no luck...I backed it about 20 feet to see if that might unlock it....no luck..tire just skidded ....Seems to me if it was a stuck hand brake cable both rear tires would not roll....course that also seems not true cause I am sure there is a cable to each rear wheel....

Gotta eat some turkey now but figured someone could give me a clue about this strange problem. Thanks in advance guys...

Sponsored Links

11-28-02, 10:51 AM   #2  
It sounds like a brake cable.Sometimes you can lay underneath the car and wiggle the cable back and forth while someone operates the emergency brake handle and free it up.Just be careful and make sure the car is not running and is in gear!!

Visiting Guest

11-28-02, 04:12 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Or, you could have a frozen wheel cylinder or piece of brake hardware broken inside the drum.

I suggest you try to disconnect the cable as Fordtech suggested. Once you do, I suggest that you take all four wheels off the vehicle and go through the braking system soup to nuts. Change all the friction, rear hardware, and probably the wheel cylinders as well as the front caliper flex hoses and bleed the system thoroughly.

Visiting Guest

11-28-02, 04:25 PM   #4  
davidf
Happened to me a few months ago .Went to a garage and they took off the wheel and pushed something in the hand brake linkage and that unstuck it and the wheel spun easilly but the brakes were taken off and all parts cleaned and put back on.The problem was caused by a stretched brake cable so the hand brake was never used like it should.Whenever i pulled up on the handbrake,the brakes were not locked solid because of the stretched cable,so change your brake cable if it is stretched so the linkages will move a lot and therefore not bind.Unlocking the wheele takes five seconds if you know what linkage to push.

Visiting Guest

11-28-02, 05:14 PM   #5  
Billsc
Locked wheel on Honda Accord-1988

Thanks guys...I will try the linkage solution as soon as I can ...maybe tomorrow....The car only has 50,000 miles on it and has been driven very little lately. The brakes have always been great so I suppose it is the cable stuck. I did put more pressure on the hand brake this last time parking it ...more than usual cause it was parked on a hill....Perhaps it just was pulled too tight and stuck.....Thanks all....You have come thru again for me .... Will post the results when I fix it....

Visiting Guest

11-28-02, 05:51 PM   #6  
davidf
Follow the brake cable to the rear wheel and the thingamajig it attaches to at the back of the wheel is some sort of plate with a complicated sliding linkage that can be unjammed with a screwdriver and maybe a knock with a hammer.Unjam it and spray with WD40 or brake cleaner and the wheel should freely spin but use your hand brake frequently and change that brake cable if it is too loose{srtetched} and can't be adjusted any further.

Search this Thread