Black Auto Finish

Old 11-30-02, 09:38 PM
IWD1
Visiting Guest
Black Auto Finish

I have a black finish on my truck. I recently had it detailed and noticed one day in the sunlight to my disgust that high speed buffer used to buff the finish left very light swirl marks in my finish. The marks are only visible when light hits the truck under the right conditions.

What can I do to eliminate these ugly marks from my truck finish?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-02, 12:56 AM
Paint it white!

I don't really know. I bought an '87 MR2 off the show room floor. A beautiful Jet Black. It looked great for a while, but eventually swirled up like your'e saying. You probably have scratched your clear coat. I would take it back to the detail shop and see what they can do.
I've seen some waxes that hide the swirls for a while but they never lasted more than a week or two.

By the way, I changed colors on the MR2 as soon as I got my first good dent!

Old 12-01-02, 04:58 AM
dIWD1,
I've got two Blacks, and I've had White - The TWO worst colors for showing dirt, etc.

Even hand waxing can leave some type of swirl marks on black.
As Dirty Dan mentioned, take it back to your detailer to see what they say. Another type wax may help eliminate them.
fred

Old 12-01-02, 08:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The detailer obviously was not very good .

No swirl marks should show. Bring it back and have them do it over. Also, they should try 3M's products for black paint such as "Perfect It" and "Fill N Glaze" which work rather well on dark finishes.

Old 12-03-02, 09:54 PM
IWD1
Visiting Guest
Thanks

took my truck back today and they told me to schedule an appointment and they would take care of it, no questions asked. I should have taken it back the same day. Duh, that's a no brainer, I think I was born yesterday.

Old 12-04-02, 09:52 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
3M makes a swirl free polish as does McGuire's. Make sure that it's not a monkey that's running the polisher

Old 12-06-02, 03:37 PM
ZJ JIM 96
Visiting Guest
You say you had it "detailed." Was it at a detailer's shop, or your local car dealership? No respectable detailer should let that happen (assuming you took it in with no swirls, or decided not to get existing swirls removed to save some money). If it's the dealership, then I could understand, because I wouldn't let any dealership guy get near my paint with a rotary. Either way, I'd seek a refund, rather than giving them another shot at further screwing up your finish. From there, look around for a reputable detailer, or take some time and money and fix it yourself. A Porter Cable random-orbital buffer can do wonders for removing swirls, and you can even get pretty good results by hand, with the right products. Look at Meguiar's Pro-Shop line for the Dual Action Cleaner/Polish or 3M Swirl Mark Remover for dark colors. There's a whole art to the perfect finish, and if you're the type to be bothered by swirl marks, you might do well to explore it as a hobby.

Old 12-06-02, 05:06 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
don't tar all dealerships with the same brush. Our reconditioning guys car turn a mess into a glass-like finish.

Old 12-07-02, 06:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Otter is right. Depends on the dealer---as with other things too.

I have dealt with parts departments that knew less than I did---in fact those are the ones that call ME for Pontiac parts! Lol.

In turn, I have also dealt with some good guys on the parts end that knew their stuff.

All depends.

Old 12-07-02, 09:04 AM
IWD1
Visiting Guest
Well I asked the detailer what happened. Before I took my vehicle in I looked at some of his work on black auto finishes. He did good work, but the wax he used had been stolen the day before. I will give hime the benefit of the doubt and one more chance to fix it. If he can't then I will pursue a refund.

I will also probably invest in the materials and equipment needed to maintain my finish myself.

Old 12-07-02, 02:08 PM
ZJ JIM 96
Visiting Guest
Yeah--I guess I was a little overbroad in slamming all dealerships. I am just a detailing fanatic and a decent shade-tree mechanic who has had a few bad dealership experiences. If you have a dealership you trust, that's terriffic. Go with your gut.