'91 Hyundai Sonata auto trans

Old 11-30-02, 11:54 PM
'91 Hyundai Sonata auto trans

Back again! This time, it's the overdrive on my '91 Hyundai Sonata. The car has the 2-liter DOHC 4-cyl and overdrive auto trans. While driving a 900-mile round trip for Thanksgiving,the car behaved very well for the first half.On the way back, though, after stopping for gas, the trans missed the 3rd-OD shift, and , try as I might, I never got overdrive back. This has happened before, but I've always been able to turn the OD off, drive in 3rd until the engine cools a bit, and turn the OD back on to get it to work again. This time, with the temp gauge all the way at the cold side it wouldn't come back. Nothing was touched on the car, other than the trunk (removing contents thereof) between parking Thursday and leaving Saturday. What gives? Any ideas as to a cause/fix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-02, 08:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mileage and the last time it saw a tranny service?

Could be a stick shift solenoid (what the button controls more than likely) or the beginnings of internal tranny failure...

Old 12-05-02, 02:33 AM
Sorry, Joe_F! Mileage on the Hyundai is around 140,000, and I'm sure it's due for fluid & filter change. I've owned the car for the last 30,000 miles and have never done it, and don't know if or when the previous owner had it done. Assuming a second-best case scenario (fluid and filter don't help and it's the shift solenoid), is the solenoid difficult to change? If somebody familiar with this transmission/car could provide input, I would really appreciate it. I know these and others like them are practically throw-away cars, but this one still runs so well and needs so little that I hate to toss it just yet. Thanks again in advance - Chris

Old 12-05-02, 05:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the fluid and filter don't help out, have it looked at by a reputable tranny shop.

Search this Thread