Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Modulator Valve on Bonneville

NC

12-01-02, 12:33 PM   #1  
Modulator Valve on Bonneville

Mechanic brother says replacing a modulator valve on a 90 Bonneville is a 5 minute job. Hubby not sure he wants to try it. (Transmission is losing fluid and rough shifts, bumps, etc) Can't find any diagrams, etc. Should I get a Haynes/Chilton book and do it myself. Brother says shop might charge $100 for such a simple job.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

LA

12-01-02, 02:04 PM   #2  
Can you see where the fluid is leaking from? Engine size and transmission info would be very helpful.
I'm not sure if the '90 Bonneville has a vacuum modulator. Check out any posting from Joe F and go to one of the links he's referenced.

NC

12-01-02, 02:24 PM   #3  
Fluid does not appear to be leaking, which is why we think it is being blown out. It does have a modulator valve. Picked one up while ago. Brother said it was a 5 minute job, but he neglected to say it takes 20 minutes to jack the side up and get to the [email protected]!
So, part's there and not in yet.. too dark and too cold.

NC

12-01-02, 02:25 PM   #4  
engine is 3.8 V6. An LE, so what does that make it transmission wise? (Where do I find that?)

Visiting Guest

12-01-02, 04:28 PM   #5  
Joe_F
All first gen FWD (87-91) Bonnevilles use a THM440T4 4 speed overdrive trans and it has a modulator.

This is one crappy transmission, riddled with problems. Try the modulator and a fluid and filter change. If that doesn't help, likely internal tranny failure.

Yes it's a 10 minute job. Check the autolibrary.org link in my signature file below for the R&R instructions---it should be there.

Why not just have your brother do the install?

NC

12-01-02, 04:35 PM   #6  
Brother is 1 hr away and snowed with rebuilding our blazer and a duelly(how do you spell that?) for his boss. He will do it if we can get the car to him or if he finishes the blazer frame/body work this week and brings it to us.
Local transmission shop is rebuilding/replacing my transmission in my 90 GMC Suburban Starcraft conversion I first mentioned last month- transmission ended up throwing a gear and totally breaking down on me last week- and they should put this modulator in for free IMO when I go by there Tuesday.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-02-02, 10:04 PM   #7  
If I recall correctly, you don't have to jack the vehicle up at all. The modulator can be changed from under the hood. Look for a metal vacuum line running to the front of the tranny, about halfway up the unit and maybe 10 inches from the engine. That line goes to the modulator. The modulator should just be held in with a small bolt and clamp. Easy cake walk.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread