Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

84 ford thunderbird

Visiting Guest

12-02-02, 07:55 AM   #1  
dcarey1771
84 ford thunderbird

Hi. I have been given an 84 Ford Thunderbird that used to be my grandma's. She had not driven this car for about 4 years. The car starts okay. I need to know where to start on getting it running. What should be checked first? The car only has 55,000 miles on it and new tires. I hope someone can help me.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

12-02-02, 09:10 AM   #2  
If I were you I'd check the oil first and probably change it anyway. Make sure the battery is in good shape , no corrosion around the terminal, maybe just take it and have an AVR test done on it. You may also have condensation in the gas if the car has been sitting for that length of time which may give some problems when trying to start. Lube all linkages with silicone. And check those brakes they're more than likely seized from sitting that long. Also look for flatspotting on the tire , I don't know how long they've been on the car.

Visiting Guest

12-02-02, 09:41 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Start with the links and posts in my signature file below, most notably "The Basics" and also autolibrary.org.

All expendables such as rubber hoses/parts and the like should be change, they rot with age and sitting.

Give it a complete tuneup and change all the fluids and filters. Be prepared for things falling apart on it, as things work back into service when they've sat so long they tend to fall apart like that .

Search this Thread