Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help with 1973 Chevy key switch

Visiting Guest

12-02-02, 03:48 PM   #1  
otrahunting
Help with 1973 Chevy key switch

I'm working on a 73 chevy pickup truck that the key switch has been relaced four times. The switch works everything but the starter. I do not see anything wrong with the wires to the starter. I can cut key on and cross the solenoid on the starter and it will start and the key will cut it off. The key part of the switch is what has been replaced before not the electrical part in the column. I'm just wondering if you think the electrical part is the problem?

Sponsored Links

LA

12-02-02, 10:48 PM   #2  
Use a test light or volt meter to see if your getting contact in the ignition switch (electrical) when you turn the key to the start position.
If you've checked all the wiring the ignition switch is most likely your problem.

Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 03:28 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Dan. The lock and key isn't electrical on most GM's, it's only mechanical.

The fault probably lies in the ignition switch on top of the column. Any parts store will have it, under 30 bucks for a new one.

Search this Thread