Snow tires (and sizes) for Z28 Camaro ??

Old 12-02-02, 06:21 PM
starrs
Visiting Guest
Snow tires (and sizes) for Z28 Camaro ??

Hello,

My wife drives a 2002 Chevy Camaro Z28, and I would like to put snow tires on this car in anticipation of the rapidly approaching Minnesota winter. The car is currently equipped with 245/50 Z16 Tires.

I realize these performance tires will be worthless in the winter, and have gone to various Tire dealerships to find a suitable snow tire.

Unfortunately, the retail tire dealers (i.e. Goodyear) seem rather clueless on what tire size is appropriate for this vehicle, and I have to spoon feed them everything in the process, such by telling them I can supply my own rims (the tires need not fit on the current factory rims.)

However, I would be grateful if someone can tell me what an APPROPRIATE tire size would be for this vehicle. I am leaning toward a 215/60/R16 Goodyear Ultragrip Ice tire, with a spare set of steel 16" rims (215 mm wide).

Also, how much (sandbag) weight can I safely put in the rear? The Chevy dealer we bought the car from was rather clueless.

THanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-02, 07:22 PM
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

you can use lots of tires

195/75/14
195/70/15

i would go smaller on width to plant in the snow and avoid sliding

go to the web site i list and find a optional size that doesnt vary more than 3% of the factory height- the height is most important

the speedo diff is not much to worry about but keep below 1.5% under or over

if you go with 15 " you will be able to find winter rims and winter tires that are affordable

the consumer reports say theses are good winters

Michelin Arctic Alpin, $100
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice, $95
Firestone Winterfire, $60

but above all this call gm and ask what they suggest

good luck

Old 12-03-02, 03:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you can afford it, shelve this car for winter duty---it's terrible and even with snow tires, it will be a demon to drive in the snow. Too much power and slides all over the place.

F cars and snow don't and shouldn't mix . No F car should see salt and snow .

If you MUST drive it in the winter, Blizzaks are probably one of the better tires out there. Again, an average sedan will fare much better than you with simple all season tires.

The F car is just TERRIBLE in the snow.