Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Steering wheel shakes on braking.

12-03-02, 09:04 AM   #1  
Steering wheel shakes on braking.

'97 Geo Metro LSI, 118k miles. While braking from highway speeds the steering wheel shakes/vibrates. Is this an alignment/brake/balance thing? How can I determine the problem if there are a few possibilities?

Thanks in advance,

Cshaner

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 09:52 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely warped brake rotors. Resurface or replace as needed.

12-03-02, 09:52 AM   #3  
Probably warped rotors if vibrating only when braking.

12-03-02, 10:12 AM   #4  
Warped rotors.

Thanks guys! I'll check that out and let yall know. Now if I could just find out how to look even remotely cool while driving a Geo Metro..............

TX

12-03-02, 01:30 PM   #5  
dont worry about being cool

It also sounds like warped brake rotars you can get a dial indicator and mount it on a stand and check for runout.Dont worry about looking cool just put on some cheap sunglasses and you are there.

Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 01:37 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Replace the rotors at this point. Front drive rotors warp like bad records and cutting them ruins them more.

Get good US or Canadian made replacements and be done with it.

Visiting Guest

12-05-02, 09:02 AM   #7  
fordman30
shakey wheels

to make a long story short replace rotors and bearings .problem solved

Visiting Guest

12-06-02, 08:24 AM   #8  
extremesanity
my sister used to have an early 90's geo metro with the same problem. she had the same problem with the rotors and had them turned instead of replaced. the problem returned within 3 months i believe. so i would suggest replacing them.

also on her car the rotors were pressed on, instead of using a nut and cotter pin like every other car on the road. she had to call a half dozen shops before she found one that had the correct tools to take of the rotors. something to think about.

Search this Thread