Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mustang auto tranny

Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 01:40 PM   #1  
p-dog
mustang auto tranny

i have a 93 5 liter mustang gt with an automatic transmission. recently the overdrive has been giving me problems. when i manually **** into overdrive it doesnt engage immediately. it takes a few extra seconds before shifting. also when in od, when i press the gas the engine revs up as if it were in neutral before it accelerates. this only occurs in overdrive. so far i havent tried anyhting as it just happened yesterday. any help please?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 01:42 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Last time the tranny saw new fluid and a filter?

Mileage?

Sounds like internal failure of the unit...rebuild time .

Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 01:45 PM   #3  
p-dog
p-dog to joe

i have no idea when the fluid and filter were last changed since i just recently purchased the vehicle. the car has about 150,000 miles on it. if the tranny is done im going to put a manual in it anyways.

Visiting Guest

12-04-02, 03:33 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sounds like it's wiped and on borrowed time.

Waste of time to put a manual in a car with auto. It's pretty detailed work and it will always look hokey and cobbled together. Pitch it for a MT equipped Mustang if that's what you're after---it's cheaper in the long run.

I don't care for those vehicles much although the MT Mustangs make a decent performance package even out of the box. You should be able to trip over them in want ads, they are plentiful.

Buy one already MT equipped and work with that.

12-05-02, 02:00 PM   #5  
You have to examin exactly what you want to do with this vehicle.

I agree with joe that the tranny is likely finished. Swapping to a manual can be very labor intensive, and can look like a hack job if you don't do it right. However, if you set hard on this car (as many of us are, I have an 86 gt) There are a LOT of people who do this swap, it is very common. the easiest way to do it is to get ALL the parts from the same donor car, the pedals, the tranny, and even the center consol, the shifter, etc. It can add up, and once again, mustangs with manuals are cheap from the get go.

Unfortunetly ford cannot build an automatic tranny to save itself. The AOD's in stock form are very weak, and slow you down in the quarter mile as much as a full second in stock form. There are a lot of Die hard mustang aod people.

This tranny can be woken up fairly easy. If you plan on doing anything to your mustang to make it go faster, the AOD can be rebuilt like ford should have. There are many things that can be done. The weakest point in that tranny tends to be the torque converter. Get it rebuilt with an after market torque converter( dont go too crazy though) and put a shift kit in it. This should wake it up and shave some time off the quarter too, good luck.

Search this Thread