Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Strut for 1992

Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 02:03 PM   #1  
thomas toth
Strut for 1992

I installed a new strut in the right rear of my 1992 Toyota Celica. Now there is a nocking sound near the top of the strut when I go over a bump. It sounds like metal on metal. Any ideas? Or maybe something is loose?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 04:06 PM   #2  
davidf
.Are you sure the struts are fitted all the way through the strut tower and nutted down tight.

Visiting Guest

12-04-02, 03:27 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Wiped out strut mounting plate/bushing most likely. They should be changed each time the struts are done.

Visiting Guest

12-04-02, 05:24 AM   #4  
thomas toth
DavidF you were right, on the ride home I had a good chance to listen to the noise, and the bolt attahed to the a strut up top was not tight enough. I tightened it from the inside and now the noise is only made when the bump is big enough, I guess I have to take off the strutt and torque it down properly. If there is any suggestions on how I can get the bolt tight enough from the inside that would be helpful. The bolt only gets so tight and then the strut "arm" spins with each turn. Anyway thanks!

Visiting Guest

12-04-02, 09:41 AM   #5  
Joe_F
You have to hold the shaft of the strut while turning the nut...they usually make special sockets to do that.

I believe the problem is elsewhere though .

Search this Thread