hot hummin explorer

Old 12-03-02, 05:20 PM
Unhappy hot hummin explorer

1996 ford explorer, 200,000km...in the winter, when the motor warms a loud hum (almost sounds like the horn) goes off, at any time, usually a tap on accelorator makes it go away, usually only happens once...any ideas? appreciate the help

John

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-02, 05:47 PM
i have seen idle speed control motors that made a loud sound similiar to a horn perhaps that is the problem.

Old 12-04-02, 03:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You could have something loose or vibrating. Where in the motor do you hear the noise?

Old 12-04-02, 05:40 PM
tough to find a specific spot...its very loud and only happens when I'm driving...this is going to sound stupid, is there some kind of diaphram et el that kicks in when the engine gets warm?

Old 12-04-02, 07:05 PM
no there isnt a diaghram that kicks in when engine is warm if it doesnt make the sound long enough for you to open the hood and listen to it or have another person listen to it to try to locate where its coming from it may be hard to find.
your probably better off taking it by a shop and have a technician listen to it more than likely they can tell you what is causing the noise very quickly due to previous experience with other vehicles making the same sound.

Old 12-05-02, 02:06 PM
I'd agree with Bejay on this,it's probably an idle air control valve causing it.