loosing coolant

Old 12-03-02, 06:39 PM
loosing coolant

I have a 1997 Dodge caravan grand sport that keeps loosing coolant. I have had the radiator flushed, pressure tested, replaced a leaking water pump, and have replaced 5 caps.
My mechanic has no clue right now. There is coolant on the floor, and it always seems to be low every 2 weeks or so.
I hope this gives all the info that is needed.
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-02, 06:42 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
Try hoses and see if it's possibly leaking from the heads. My F150 had to be refilled about every 2 days because it was leaking antifreeze from one of the heads. "Supposedly"

Old 12-04-02, 03:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Time to try a different mechanic. If he pressure tests it, you should be able to find the leak.....

You don't mention engine size, can't help much...

Old 12-04-02, 04:21 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
You can have a -tracer- put in the antifreeze, so when it leaks, the leak can easily found with an ultraviolet light gun .When the light falls on the antifreeze, it wil give off a violet glow and can be instantly seen no matter how small the leak is.If you can't find the leak now then most likely it is very small .Enquire at several garages about this method of finding antifreeze leaks.

Old 12-04-02, 11:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Joe... any good mechanic should be able to find the leak. Especially when the system is pressurized. Is it a 3.0 engine?

Old 12-05-02, 04:42 PM
It is the large 6 cylinder, not sure of the liter size

Old 12-06-02, 03:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Neither are we, as we don't own the blasted machine, you do!

Under the hood, there is a sticker with the emission information. It will say the engine size.

Or if the 8th digit of the VIN is a 3, it's a 3.0

If it's an R, it's a 3.3
If it's a L, it's a 3.8.

None of those three is any collosal winner, but I think I know where Cheese is going with this....the 3.0 has water pump issues and is behind the timing cover area to my recollection.

Old 12-06-02, 10:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup . I don't really recall any issues as far as premature pump failure on these things, but when they do go bad, they leak onto the timing belt and cause it to slip eventually and then you have a basket full of problems. Plus...the crossover tube behind the water pump is known to develop leaks once in a while, which adds to the difficulty in finding the origin of the leak.