Resetting my Cars Theft System?

Old 12-04-02, 10:07 AM
brad_kauz
Visiting Guest
Question Resetting my Cars Theft System?

Ok I have a 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gs automatic and today i noticed the battery termonials needed some cleaning so I took off the terminals and cleaned them and then upon hooking them up the turn signal lights, parking lights, and break lights all started flashing and when i went to start the car nothin happened like its in total shut-down. I am thinking my Anti-Theft System is causeing this but shouldn't this reset itself after i disconnect the battery and then hook it back up? Which I have done a number of times and still the same thing happens. Any ideas on how i can fix this problem will be appreceated

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-02, 10:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Is it a factory installed system or an aftermarket system?

Many aftermarket systems are poorly installed/wired and cause a host of problems.

Old 12-04-02, 10:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a keychain remote? If so, you should be able to unlock/disarm the system from there. If not, you should have a valet/disarm button inside the car somewhere, usually hidden, press it and hold it down with the key turned over to on, not starting the car, just on. Unhooking the battery terminal and reconnecting is not going to do anything.

What you are experiencing is called starter kill. Basically you have a relay connected to the ignition wire, when the alarm goes off, it disconnects the ignition wire by way of the relay. If you don't have a keychain remote or the valet button, you could always bypass the relay, but I wouldn't recommend it. I've installed these before, they can be a real pain to get to.

Let me know how it goes.

Old 12-04-02, 10:28 AM
brad_kauz
Visiting Guest
I don't have a remote and i have looked for a button but the only thing i can seem to find is there is a little toggle switch down by the gas peddle to the left that can be flipped to on and off mode but i tried reconnecting the battery with the toggle switch flipped in both directions. Would this most likly be my disarm button?

Old 12-04-02, 10:34 AM
Sounds like it. Some alarms have push buttons (momentary) others have toggle like that. Your other option is to find the brain of the system and let me know what model it is. From there I could look it up for you and maybe tell you how to disarm it. Forget the battery for now, that's not going to do any good. Have you tried starting the car in both modes?

If you can find the brain of the system, disconnect the terminals on it, this should, first of all, reset the system and you should be able to start the car. If you reconnect it though, it will probably shut down again. You need to get a remote for it, which means you need to know the model # of the alarm. Look under the dash, around the steering column for the brain. It's should be about 3x3 or so, black box, lot's of wires coming out of it.

Let me know if you find it, and I'll see if I can find a remote to go to it.

Old 12-04-02, 12:31 PM
brad_kauz
Visiting Guest
found it

Ok I i think i found my Brain it apears to be a little black box like u said with a bunch of wires plugged into it no how would i go about unplugging this I tried to pull the white clip of wires out but the didn't budge i also notice anther set of two wires going to the top of the unit, i couldn't get any cerial #s off of it due the way it was positioned, should the white plug with the wires just pull straight out? PLMK thanks

Old 12-04-02, 12:50 PM
It really depends on the system. Some of them have a little catch you have to get by. Some of them have a hook in the middle that you have to press. Some of them are just stuck in there so tight they don't come out very easy. Of all the alarms I have installed, I have very rarely seen anything but just a press fit connection, which means you should be able to force it out. Try wiggling one side out at a time, get one side out a little, then the other. The little plug with 2 wires is probably the switch you were talking about, you can unplug it if you want, but it's not really going to matter. If you can't force the plug out, see if you can move the brain around a little to see how the plug comes out. Whatever you do, DON'T just cut the wires, there is power on them, make sure you unplug the connector.

Old 12-04-02, 04:14 PM
Some factory systems are reset by locking and unlocking the pass or drivers door with the key

Larry

Old 12-04-02, 04:17 PM
brad_kauz
Visiting Guest
Got the problem fixed

Well I ended up hooking the battery back up and let the lights blink for a lil bit and then they stoped and the car started right up i guess its an after marked theft system that must of just took a lil time to reset itself thanks for all the suggestions though