Low compression question:

Old 12-04-02, 05:53 PM
run2car
Visiting Guest
Low compression question:

Hi, I have a 1986 Nissan Stanza Wagon with the 2.0 Litre MPI engine. The engine overheated and stopped and now the compression is about 15 lbs per cylinder, at the most. I tried pumping some 30 wt oil and retesting and the results were the same. All the valves are opening also. I pulled the head and you can still see cross hatching in the cylinders(179.000 miles) Does this sound like a head gasket problem, warped head or crack, or what else should I check for? By the way, the pistons and valves were very, very clean like water had been in contact with them.
Thanks,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-02, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Send the head to a good machine shop to have it checked. Likely warped; engines nowadays aren't as forgiving as they used to be when overheated.

Old 12-04-02, 10:37 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
It would have been a good idea to do a cylinder leakdown test before you tore it apart.

It would now be a good idea to pull each piston & inspect the rings & ring lands. If the engine was run hot for an extended period of time, the rings could be siezed on the pistons & therefore not sealing.

Old 12-05-02, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
Right. Might also want to consider the value of the vehicle before investing too much in it.

Old 12-05-02, 05:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with both posters.

This is an old vehicle, not worth bus fare. A reman head could run you 300 to 500 bucks on this and the bottom end may be wiped out....it might be worth it to replace the whole motor with a used one or a rebuilt if the rest of the car is in good shape.

Otherwise, if analysis reveals lower end problems, pitch it and put your money to something better. These are no great bargains of cars.

Old 12-09-02, 05:06 PM
run2car
Visiting Guest
Hi, Sorry for the late reply, we just got power back from the ice storm we had here in NC. Thanks for the replies. The car is in like new condition and all the options work well. The wet compression test had the same results as the dry one. I'm going to take the head to the machine shop and have it tested. The head gasket did not look very well. Thanks,

Scott