Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power Steering Enigma

LA

12-06-02, 02:03 AM   #1  
Power Steering Enigma

OK Guys,
'89 Burb 5.7, 2WD, 1/2 ton, 260,000 miles.
My power steering doesn't work at first on cool mornings. Feels as if pump is not working. Problem occurs right at start up, cold engine with ambient temp @ <40F. If I go ahead and force steering wheel back and forth a few times it goes ahead and works. Otherwise, if I let the engine warm up 2-3 minutes it works fine the first try. On warmer mornings there is no problem.
Power steering pump has been replaced (and bled) and did not fix problem. Pulley is not slipping on shaft, serpintine belt is not slipping.
Is there any way this could be caused by the (original) steering gear box?

Thanks,
Daniel

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-06-02, 03:15 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Very well could be, but my bet's on a poorly rebuilt pump though.

Any TSB's in Alldata?

LA

12-06-02, 10:53 AM   #3  
Not that I've found.
What in the pump would only fail when it's cold???

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-06-02, 10:09 PM   #4  
That's a pretty common problem on cold mornings for GM and Chrysler both. Maybe Ford too, I don't know. Dodge even says not to do ANY repairs in this case, as it will not get better. They reccomended using a cold-weather fluid in the winter, but the problem is you are supposed to remove it when the weather warms up. I have the same problem on my chevy truck, and my buick park avenue. My olds delta 88 did it too. Only takes 30 seconds for it to straighten out though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-07-02, 06:05 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Dan:

I will check this out on my 84 Olds 88 today, and let you know.

It has been sitting stone cold for a couple of days (due to snow), and I have to put the new registration sticker on it.

It has been cleared out (snow wise) since the first day, but I have so many extra cars, I've just been using others.

I don't recall the problem you describe with my cars (any of them). Original gearboxes and pumps too.

LA

12-09-02, 01:06 PM   #6  
I've owned GM vehicles all my life and have never had this problem. I'm in south Louisiana and we rarely have any serious cold weather here. The truck is an '89 and only started doing this a year or so ago. It's something that I can live with, but I'd sure like to know what's causing it.

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 05:34 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Sorry for forgetting about you Dan .

STONE cold sitting for close to a week on my 84 Olds 88 (in NYC cold weather mind you)----no balking, noises or anything on the pump.

I believe you have a poorly rebuilt pump. What brand did you use?

LA

12-10-02, 05:09 PM   #8  
I don't recall, it wasn't a Delco rebuild. Pump was purchased from NAPA. They carry quality parts but even Delco could have one slip through every once in a while.
I guess I'll break out the old GM manual and see if I can find how much pressure the pump should put out.

Visiting Guest

12-11-02, 05:35 AM   #9  
Joe_F
I don't know who does their pumps---possibly Cardone Industries (who tends to be quite good).

You could always ask them.

Visiting Guest

12-15-02, 07:29 PM   #10  
Mech24
Bad Gear not Pump

Hey man if you haven't fixed problem yet it is the gear not the pump. GM, Ford, and Chrylser all have same problem. Hydralic valve in gear cuts grooves in machined housing and when cold it takes time to work. Replace with new or Rebuilt Unit and you will be fine. Forget the cold weather fluid.

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 11:11 AM   #11  
Joe_F
That is a possibility with this mileage as well.

A rebuilt box for most GM's is about 200 bucks in A-1 Cardone depending on the application.

Swap in a '79 WS6 Trans Am box instead. LOL (popular swap for many G bodies and other cars to make it handle better).

LA

12-18-02, 01:35 PM   #12  
Joe,
I heard where there's one in NY that I could steal!

Visiting Guest

12-18-02, 02:41 PM   #13  
Joe_F
You can have the whole T/A parts car for $1400 .

Search this Thread