Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chevy Venture serviceability?

Visiting Guest

12-07-02, 06:44 AM   #1  
techtim
Chevy Venture serviceability?

This is a general question about service on my 98 Chevy Venture.

For 25 years, I have been able to do all my own maintenance and minor repairs - belts, alternator, timing belt, water pump, radiator, iginition, battery, brakes, exhaust. Basically anything external to the engine. I know I've saved many 1000's of dollars by doing things myself, and I actually enjoy the work.

The engine in this Venture is so deeply buried, I can't even see or reach most of it. I don't see how an experienced weekend warrior can service this. How do the pro's service this? Are the routine repairs now very expensive? I really like this vehicle, but I'm considering trading it in for something that is serviceable.

Greatly appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

Thanks, Tim

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-07-02, 02:10 PM   #2  
Joe_F
If you want serviceable, buy rear drive. My sister's Tahoe (2002) is a breeze to service. The oil change is easy, the spark plugs and filters are easy and everything looks very straightforward.

I assume you buy the GM service manuals for your vehicles? If you don't, that's half the problem . You may be doing things the hard way.

Visiting Guest

12-07-02, 09:02 PM   #3  
otter_
serviceability on front drives is tough at best. serviceability on minivans is a masochistic undertaking. Lots of dissasembly involved in getting at certain things. Take a look where your battery is, for example.

Pros have hoists at their disposal and they ARE handy when it comes time to get at things like the a/c compressor or rear bank of spark plugs from the underside.

Joe's right on the money. If you want ease of service, buy a full size truck based SUV or full size pickup. No transverse engine, no transaxle and a big engine bay with good access to mess around in.

Search this Thread