quick ? chevy van

Old 12-07-02, 09:15 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
quick ? chevy van

Ok folks this is my buddy,s problem so I will describe as best as I can, bear with me on the length. Ok early to mid 90,s chevy conversoin van, 350 motor. over 100,000 miles. my buddy just bought the van, supposedly had a bad starter in it and his mechanic just replaced it, everything was fine for 2 days i believe. we went out for the evening, when we went to start the van after it sat for 3 hrs, Immediatly as you turn the key the driver side high and low beams go on when the switch is off, the passenger side bearly glows at all. and the turn signal on the driver side also comes on, as you turn the key, you dont hear anything from the starter nothing at all usually if its locked up you hear a clicking or something, The battery indicator says that is charged and radio and things work, but what puzzled me was the radio lost its memory. erased the time. and the lights going haywire are really throwing me off, I wrapped on the starter and didnt get anything different from it. We were tossing around the idea of a bad ground somewhere, but basically is a shot in the dark. right now the van is parked in the middle of a arena parking lot and we would like to drive it home if we can, Any ideas from the pro,s and backyard warriors would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-02, 10:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A stuck diode in the alternator will do strange things like that.

If the vehicle wont even crank, suspect a faulty rebuilt starter--have the shop tow it back to their place at the shop owner's expense.

Another possbillity is frayed wires from the starter change.

Old 12-09-02, 06:18 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
Ok Joe talked to my buddy today, they took the starter out and took it to autozone to have it checked, everything checked out ok, they reinstalled it and still didnt start, so as they were looking it over at tried starting a couple more times still to know avail, they were backing up the truck to tow it home and he tried it 1 more time, said the only thing he did different was to turn the key over very slow instread of putting the key in an crankin. fired right up. So we think its in the ignition column, can this cause the problem w/ the lights when it didnt start? or any other ideas?

Old 12-10-02, 03:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If anything, something wrong with the electrical ignition switch (located on top of the steering column under the dash).