Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

z71 gmc pickup is a hottie

12-08-02, 06:21 AM   #1  
z71 gmc pickup is a hottie

90 gmc z71 4.3 .starts and idles fine.drove abour 20 mls or so coulndnt get it over about 50mph.oh yeah spittin and sputtering when you give it gas.got home both exhaust manifolds were cherry red. uh someone told me may be the catalytic converter,any thoughts as to my problem?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-08-02, 10:30 AM   #2  
fordman30
the hottie

that would my first guess.You can also try to beat the converter to loosen the stuff that might helpor stabbing holes in it .But the way this newer vehicles are probaly would be better to spend the money for a new converter.good luck!!!!!!!

12-08-02, 12:43 PM   #3  
ok new info-ran computer came up mapp senor and o2 sensor.checked o2 and there are no wires hooked to it at all and cant find them anywhere. anyone know where they come from or go to so i can hook them up up?

Visiting Guest

12-08-02, 05:50 PM   #4  
Joe_F
There should be a single purple wire coming from up top that plugs into the sensor.

You likely wiped the converter, so check your work and install a new converter.

FordMan: Your method of checking is illegal and doesn't solve the problem . It would also make it slow as piss and noisy as hell. The converter would have to pitched.

12-09-02, 01:29 AM   #5  
thanhs both of you,will look for purple wire in the am

12-16-02, 05:24 AM   #6  
looked all over for an unattached purple wire havent found one.any clues where it would be coming from before i end up paying someone for something this simple?

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 10:43 AM   #7  
Joe_F
It usually comes out of the engine harness, at least it does on most GM's I have seen.

Do you have a wiring diagram for it? Check through my signature file below to get to Autolibrary to see if they have one there.

12-16-02, 11:02 AM   #8  
joe-signature file?went to auto library.org and found i am not authorized to view this site.am i doing something wrong or what?thanks for your time

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 11:05 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Try:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

If not, cut and paste it if the URL doesn't work as a hyperlink.

12-16-02, 12:06 PM   #10  
thanks again joe check it out when i get home

Search this Thread