Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

changing coolant question

KY

12-09-02, 01:15 PM   #1  
changing coolant question

On my 97 Chrysler LHS, after refilling there is bleed valve on the thermostat housing and basicly keep it open till no more air comes out...simple enough. Now on the wifes 2000 Winstar (3.8L with 34000 miles) it looks like the same basic type of coolant system. Does it need to be bleed also after coolant change? I would think it would, but does anyone know the correct way for the 2000 winstar? The only 2 manuals I have been able to find for the winstar is hayes(useless manual) and the ford OEM (I know the OEM are good I have own them in the pass just cant afford it at the moment).

Thanks
Online2

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-09-02, 04:51 PM   #2  
fordman30
windstar

drain and refill like you normally would.But if are worry about air in the cooling system fill it up with coolant and leave the radiator cap off until the thermostate opens up.Then add more coolant or water. Mix is suggested half and half.i used to at a ford dealership.HOPE THIS HELPS.GOOD LUCK

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 05:35 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Check autolibrary on either to see the coolant refill procedure.

KY

12-10-02, 09:16 AM   #4  
Joe,
I know procedure for 97 LHS (have manual for this car), I was using it as refence about the bleed valve. Its 2000 winstar I'm not sure about, and I already check @ http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual...odelLookup.html first place I go for a quick refence. But it says information is not currently available. Information on newer winstar seem hard to find. Like I said before the Hays book was useless, cant afford the OEM at the moment. I was hoping chilton would come out with a manual for it. I check their site from time to time, but right now it seems to be down or upgrade. I know on newer cars that air can trap in the system and cause overheating. Just want to do it right the first time.

Thanks

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 09:57 AM   #5  
Joe_F
You can also get a hold of an Alldata.com subscription.

25 bucks and good for a year on one vehicle.

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 07:40 PM   #6  
roland1978
If my short term memory surves me right that bleed screw is for letting out air as stated. You fill run engine and open valve every so often to let air out till it is only anti-freeze. Hope it works.

KY

12-11-02, 04:55 AM   #7  
roland1978: Yes the bleed valve is for letting air out of the system, which 97 LHS has. But I've yet to locate one on the 2000 winstar.

Joe: Weighting my opinions for a manual, I might have to go with alldata, maybe in year someone will have a good manual out or I can afford the OEM. My only concern is how much information do they have on the 2000 Winstar, I hate to pay for subcription and there not be much information. I guess I will try emailing them and see what they can tell me.

Thanks

Visiting Guest

12-11-02, 05:30 AM   #8  
Joe_F
The OEM manual is ALWAYS far superior to anything out there, so save your pennies for that.

A manual won't set you back that much. It's the cost of repair. It pays for itself the first time you use it. I know mine have.

Search this Thread