1991 Oldsmobile Bravada

Old 12-09-02, 07:32 PM
rtrmm99
Visiting Guest
1991 Oldsmobile Bravada

Recently, A sound like a jackhammer is coming from under the hood. It only happens when you are decelerating or have your foot off the gas. If you are pressing the gas or have it in neutral the sound isnt there. There is plenty of coolant, oil and transmission fluid. Does anyone know what it might be?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-02, 03:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Need more detail on the noise and problem. Could be internal engine failure (rod or bearing knock).

Have the engine oil pressure checked with a hand held gauge to see if it's within spec first.

Make sure the fan is not hitting the fan shroud either

Old 12-11-02, 07:16 AM
rtrmm99
Visiting Guest
1991 Oldsmobile Bravada

Thanks for the help! I checked my oil pressure, everything is fine there. You said you needed more infor on the sound, so this is what I have:

From the time I turn the engine on, it takes about 5-6 seconds for the clicking noise to start. It only happens when I am idling or driving under 25-30 mph. Anything above that, or while accelerating, the noise goes away. I checked the fan shroud, and it is not hitting it. I sat and listened for a long time, and because nothing happens at high speeds I am thinking that maybe something somewhere else may have come loose or something and is being hit. But because of the higher speeds doesnt make a noise because it has seated itself. What would be an alright price for someone to take a look at see if anything is loose? I know if I take it somewhere and say that, then all kinds of things will be found to be in need of 'repair'.

Old 12-11-02, 09:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How did you check the oil pressure? What were the results?

Old 12-11-02, 09:35 AM
rtrmm99
Visiting Guest
i took my truck to an auto zone because they said they had a thing to check the pressure since I didnt. They measured it and asked me what it said in the instument panel and I told them it was just a little under the 40, and all they said to me was it was normal. They did it for free so i guess i cant really complain, but I am not sure if in fact '40' is ok, actually, the oil pressure gauge never really moves far from 40 at any time. I wouldnt know how to measure the pressure myself or whatever to use, except for seeing what these people used.

Old 12-11-02, 10:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You must use a reliable hand held gauge to check oil pressure.

Go back there and ask if that is what they used.