Car won't start

Old 01-04-03, 08:35 AM
Dianne A
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Car won't start

I have a '88 chevy baretta, recently the car won't start without a jump. It turns over but it just won't fire on it's own. I asked a friend who knows alittle about cars he said to change the cap and rotor button, but when I went to purchase these things the auto parts person informed me there is none. I'm totally lost when it comes to cars. Please I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-03, 08:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since it will start with a jump, and then run go to your local auto zone or other parts dealer and ask them to check your battery. It may just be that your battery isn't able to hold enough charge to start your car.

Kay

Old 01-04-03, 10:53 AM
Dianne A
Visiting Guest
Thanks Kay,

Didn't realize that even though the starter would turn over the battery could be low on juice. Sure enough that was the problem.
Dianne

Old 01-04-03, 11:02 AM
I'm glad that it was simple.

Batteries can be charged enough to run the lights, interior lights and accessories, but they need a lot of juice to actually start an engine.

It would be nice if all automative inconveniences were that easy to deal with!

Have a happy New Year!

Kay

Old 01-04-03, 11:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make sure the alternator tests out as good (see the test through my "The Basics" below) or it will kill a new battery.

Old 01-04-03, 01:12 PM
Dianne A
Visiting Guest
Well we thought we had it. Even though I put a new battery in (because when checked it was not good) the car still won't fire. Is there another possible solution???????????
Thank you for your help
Dianne

Old 01-04-03, 01:37 PM
Read Joe's 'basics' about the alternator and also take it to have it checked. As he said in his post, if the alternator is bad it can kill a battery.

Kay

Old 01-05-03, 07:22 AM
Dianne A
Visiting Guest
I've had the starter, altenator and battery checked. All are fine. I plan to change wires and plugs. If it's not that could it be a problem with the ignition coils?????

Old 01-05-03, 10:09 AM
racer
Visiting Guest
I had a buddy that his car was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the ignition coil pack that your plug wires are connected to. His car was a 89 Oldsmobile.

Old 01-05-03, 10:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Diane:

As Kay stated, you must start with my "The Basics" post so you determine where the fault is.

Otherwise, you will throw parts at the problem, easily exceeding the value of the vehicle.

Old 01-07-03, 07:40 AM
Q
Calling AAA.....

I learned that short trips in lousy winter conditions;
snow, sleet, etc. will use up a battery.
Headlights, heater, defrosters, wipers, rear wind. melter, radio,
etc. all going full bore, then you're at the store, RR sta., etc.
Same thing going home. Battery never gets fully charged up.
Lots of dead batteries at the commuter rail stations nights -
for this very reason.

Old 01-07-03, 03:44 PM
Dianne A
Visiting Guest
Battery is fully charged. We had th e ignition module checked, told that everything is fine. Now the car won't start even if it's jumped. There's no fire in the spark plug wires.(tested by putting screw driver in socket and turning the car over to see if it would arc when placing it on or near metal)Suggestions?????? Fuel pump is working. Checked for loose wires, checked hose.

Old 01-07-03, 05:15 PM
bweaver
Visiting Guest
try a coil if there is no spark. thats where the wires get it from.

Old 01-07-03, 05:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No!!!! Don't try anything unless you test it and determine it's bad!

You'll spend hundreds of dollars on parts you don't need and STILL not solve the problem!

MUST start with autolibrary.org after reading "The Basics".

Old 01-08-03, 09:30 AM
Q
Whatever it is - get back, willya?
Really wanna know what was up with it!

Old 01-08-03, 09:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
P.S.

No cap and rotor on a 1988 Beretta. Both the 2.0 and 2.8 engines used that year are both distributorless (they do not have a cap and rotor)

Old 01-09-03, 05:12 AM
Dianne A
Visiting Guest
We really appreciate the input. Just want to say thanks to everyone!
Since there is no "fire" to the plugs, we talked to a mechanic and he suggested checking the crank shaft sensor first. So if time permits thats what we'll do today.

Old 01-09-03, 10:09 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

That's a great place to start. You might as well just replace it as it is very cheap (less than $20) and it must be removed for inspection anyway.

Remove the sensor & inspect it for cracks. If it's cracked, replace it. If it is not cracked, measure resistance across the 2 sensor terminals. Compare measured resistance with the spec. provided at Joe F's Autolibrary.org link. Replace if resistance is out of spec.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-11-03, 12:06 PM
Dianne A
Visiting Guest
The car is running fine..........It was the sensor!!!!! thank you all

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: